Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section View of Stress Analysis Result?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
4252 Views, 8 Replies

Section View of Stress Analysis Result?

Hello!

This may defy some fundamental aspect of the way static stress analyses are run, but if it does, the reason escapes me at this point...

I'd like to look at the stress profile through the thickness of my FEA result. I have a cantilevered, odd-shaped, ~1"x2" beam that is both in bending and in tension, and plan to make it from heat treated 4140 steel. Although 4140 is somewhat through-hardenable, there's a gradient to the hardness and the center remains softer than the surface. I need to compare the stress gradient in my FEA result as a function of depth into the part with that of the predicted heat treated hardness. To do this, a cross section of the FEA result would be VERY helpful. I looked through Inventor help and didn't see any examples of this, so I wanted to check here to see if it's even possible.

Thanks for any assistance,

-Rodney Sparks
Creative Spark Engineering, Inc.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

>...there's a gradient to the hardness and the center remains softer than the surface... ... so I wanted to check here to see if it's even possible.

Not in Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
Jimmy_Yuan|Autodesk

Hi Rodney,

At present, there is no such functionality to see cross section stress in Inventor. But it has been put into our internal tracking system as 1057236. I think you can do following two ways as workaround:
(1) Split the part along a plane where you want to see the stress and then use make components to insert two bodies into an assembly. Analyze the assembly (bonded contact between two parts) and hide one part, you can see the stress on the face. Be careful to the stress on contacted face since this way may cause stress singularity.
(2) Use probe to detect the stress on any point after part simulation.You can create probe on part face, and then edit its position with coordinate to anywhere you want.

Hoper it help.

Regards,
Jimmy Yuan
Autodesk Simualtion Quality Engineer

Jimmy Yuan
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

JD and Jimmy, thanks for your replies.

Jimmy, I was actually in the process of trying your suggestion No. 1 when I saw your reply. However, I think that suggestion No. 2 would suffice for many situations. In the case of the part in question, I could simply move the probe downward through the part in .050" increments and get a clear picture of the stress profile. It just takes much more time than a "section FEA result" command, of course. At this point, I'm just glad that a method exists, however time consuming it might be.

Thanks!

-Rodney
Message 5 of 9
Jimmy_Yuan|Autodesk

Hi Rodney,

Glad to know the method is working for you.
For suggestion NO.2, it really consumes a lot of time if many points are needed to show stress. It is a good idea to have a "section FEA result" functionality. We have included this wishlist into our working system.
Thank you for bringing this into our attention. If you have any other question about Inventor simulation, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
-Jimmy Yuan
Autodesk Simulation Quality Engineer

Jimmy Yuan
Message 6 of 9
davef
in reply to: Jimmy_Yuan|Autodesk

It's been a while since the last post on this thread.  I have the same question as the OP.  I'm running Inventor pro 2015.  Has the ability to section the results of an FEA stress analysis been added yet?  I haven't found it yet in this software release.  Thanks.

Message 7 of 9
blair
in reply to: davef

Sorry still not available.

This functionality has been in Simulation Mechanical (formaly Algor) for about 15 years. I guess as some point if they keep putting all the features of Sim-Mech in Inventor, there won't be a reason to produce Sim-Mech.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 9
kevin.kruse
in reply to: blair

Ok it has been another two years or 6 since the first post.  Has this been added?  I have not been able to figure it out.

Also the above posts mentions tracking system number 1057236.  How do i look that up?  Or can I?

Message 9 of 9
blair
in reply to: kevin.kruse

Not that I'm aware of, most of my work is done in Sim-Mech doing non-linear analysis.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report