Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screw threads exported as .STL files

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
drumrboy44
8211 Views, 4 Replies

Screw threads exported as .STL files

I've been trying to make a male and matching female screw and fitting for attaching two parts that will be 3D printed. However, whenever I export the part to an .STL file, the threads do not show or print properly. Any ideas on how to fix this in Inventor?

Thanks in advance.

-Drumrboy44

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: drumrboy44

How are you creating the threads?

You must model them.

Look closely (very closely) at your model - the Thread and Hole-threaded tools in Inventor create cosmetic bit-map image representations of thread, not real thread geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
pcrawley
in reply to: JDMather

Try the thread modeller.  You'll find it on this page on the Autodesk Labs site:

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/ADN_plugins/catalog

Peter

Peter
Message 4 of 5
BLHDrafting
in reply to: drumrboy44

You might want to try this add-in :- http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=autodesk.appstore.exchange.autodesk.com...

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 5 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: BLHDrafting

If you use an add-in to create your threads - double check that it uses the correct thread form (last time I checked it didn't, but it has been a while since I checked).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report