Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save .ipt as .stl

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
4617 Views, 9 Replies

Save .ipt as .stl

I have an issue saving a part as an .stl. I always get the message "No valid solid bodies to output to STL file". When I try and go to options in the "save as" dialogue, I can only change between ANSII and Binary. I have Inventor 2014. My .ipt is just a 0.5" cube. Did nothing other than sketch and extrude.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

It looks like you have an imported mesh - not a solid body.

What happens if you convert the import to a solid body or start a new file and create a solid body from scratch?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
CCarreiras

Hi!

That's because the part you have in the images, it's already a import from a STL, and so, isn't  a solid body.

You can only export solid bodies to STL and when you import a STL file, it isn't a solid body, but only a mesh .

When you import a STL file in can´t do almost anything with him, so i believe that source you have to import to Inventor has the same geometry as the one you want to export. The problem is... if you don't have the STL source...Smiley Frustrated

Regards

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

It was never a STL. I opened a new .ipt and created a sketch of a 0.5inx0.5in square. Then I extruded it 0.5in. There was no import that occured.

Message 5 of 10
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

... There was no import that occured.

Your browser would seem to indicate otherwise.  That is the symbol for a Mesh body.
Attach the ipt file here and end all doubt.  So easy!

Mesh.png

What does your browser say if you expand that blue box node?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Here it is

Message 7 of 10
JDMather

The Translation Report indicates that you opened an stl file named C:\Users\1614\Desktop\Half-Inch Cube.stl

So, did you open an stl file you created or did you open an ipt file you created?

There is no Sketch as you describe creating in the file you attached.

And no extrusion feature.

This is what you should see -

Solid Body.PNG

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

It was never a STL. I opened a new .ipt and created a sketch of a 0.5inx0.5in square. Then I extruded it 0.5in. There was no import that occured.

Let me guess - you left out 2 steps that you did.

You then Saved Copy As *.stl

and then opened the *.stl file.

Message 9 of 10
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Here it is

Yep.. Its a Mesh created by an import of C:\Users\1614\Desktop\Half-Inch Cube.stl

That part was NOT created as a native Inventor part.. All others above are correct..

So thats the problem.. We call this an "oops" moment. It happens.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report