Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same ilogic part in same assembly

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
alauth
628 Views, 5 Replies

Same ilogic part in same assembly

I have the same ilogic part placed in the same assembly, and i am trying to drive two different configurations of the same part and when i apply the configuration it changes both of the parts but to only one of the configurations.

Is there a way to drive them seperately even though they are the same part.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mrattray
in reply to: alauth

No, a part can't be two things at once. This is one of the limitations I've run into repeatedly working with iLogic.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 6
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

Um it can but it is a master.. Have a form that drives the part when inserting into an assembly the form will pop up, configure part one hit done. At this point a rule must be in places when you hit done it does a save copy and inserts it into the assembly keeping the master the same. you never really place the master in the assembly but a save copy I have a spot you put the part number in..

Only issue is can't find a way to use the ilogic form but looking into it to make sure before I use VB form. I can't find a way to link done with save as. But in VB I can...

I am sure there is more in 2013 ilogic forms but I will not load 2013 the way they have it right now. I hope in 2014 they put it back to classic and take out everything they did in 2013 then I will load it. If not I will not be leaving 2012 for a very very very long time.. It will be like my autocad 2000 I still have..

I am working on the code right now for this right now can't say when I will be done hope in the next week or so..

Message 4 of 6
mrattray
in reply to: jletcher

That's an interesting approach.

I can help you with your form. Forget about the done button, get rid of it. Instead, insert the rule directly into the form. This will create a button that when pressed will run the rule. You can set the properties of the button to apply anything entered into the form and close it like the done button does. You don't need VB for it.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 6
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

mrattray said:

That's an interesting approach.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I think way out of the box... But I like the rule idea to do this..............

if I had the money back when computers 1st came out I had so many ideas I drew up by hand...

The hard drive picture frames you see now thought of that back in 1993

ipad thought of that in 1994 but did not call it ipad called it portable computer...

Have a ton more things I thought of just wanting to see them all come out. I wish apple would higher me I have visions like Jobs did. RIP Steve.. 

Message 6 of 6
bobvdd
in reply to: jletcher

alauth,

This has been said before in this post: what you are trying to do is not possible without creating extra files.
There are a couple of methods to achieve what you want though.

1.Use iParts instead.

2.Use an iLogic rule + form in the part.
   In attached zip sits a 2012 ipt that contains both.
   If you run the form, you will be able preview and save a file for each size to disk (in the same location where the ipt sits) . I included both single value parameters and a multi-value parameter.

3.Use a VBA form and create the files on the fly while working in an assembly.
   In the same zip I included an ivb file. You can Load this ivb project file in the VBA editor.
   Place the ipt in the c:\temp folder.
   Open a new assembly and run Userform1.
   The VBA code will copy each size to a different ipt and insert that ipt automatically in your assembly.
   The advatage of this method is that you can leave this VBA project loaded in the Inventor session and use it in different assemblies and that you don't need to include any code inside the ipt or iam files that you create (which is easier for maintenance). Downside is that VBA code is less universal than the iLogic approach and more difficult to adapt to different geometry.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report