Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL to IPT: How to cut onto a triangular surface

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
rashpal
2727 Views, 9 Replies

STL to IPT: How to cut onto a triangular surface

I have recently converted an STL file into IPT using Mesh Enabler 2013. The file is now a solid IPT file..however when wanting to extrude and cut onto the surface it does not work, the surface is made up of hundreds of different shaped triangles. Is there any way around this?? I would like to be able to modify the file and have cuts and extrusions on it.

Please check out the 2 screenshots attached for a better understanding. Thank you Smiley Happy

triangular surface.jpg

cut into surface.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
sam_m
in reply to: rashpal

Hi and welcome to the forum.

An stl, by its very nature, is made up of lots and lots of triangles, as far as I know there is no way around this.  I guess that you could try and combine a number of them over a flat area by deleting all of them and then patching the area, but this could be a lot of work for little gain.

Can you provide 1 to 1 screenshots as the scaled images loose too much information (i.e. I can't work out the exact icons/text in the browser bar, which could help to identify the problem).

Is there any way to post the ipt, which would obviously help us, to help you?

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 10
rashpal
in reply to: sam_m

Sam,

Thank you for the response. Please view the attached images that should be alot clearer. I am unable to upload the STL file unfortunately..

If there is a solution to the problem then it would be great!

Message 4 of 10
mcgyvr

Why are you importing an STL file?

Can you get the file in a "better" format.. Like STEP or IGES..

IMO STL is ONLY for export to a 3d printer/Stereolithography machine,etc...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 10
JDMather

You say the extrusion doesn't actually work - yet I see an extrusion feature in the history tree.

Have you turned off the visibility of the stl graphics, maybe that is obscuring the view of the solid body?  (I didn't test to see if this could be the problem.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
rashpal
in reply to: mcgyvr

STL is the format type that was provided to me (made up of many thousands of triangles), so I converted it to IPT using the Mesh Enabler add-in. It then appeared solid, however when trying to modify it, it does not work. Baffling!

Message 7 of 10
rashpal
in reply to: JDMather

The extrusion feature you see in the history tree has indeed been executed by me. You see, executing the extrusion/cut command does work (so therefore will appear in the history tree), but does not actually make any extrusions or cuts.

I haven't tried to turn off the visibility of the STL graphics...How do I do that?

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

Right click and select Visibility.

Mesh Visibility.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
rashpal
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks. That definitely works now!

Thank you! Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
mcgyvr

Suggestion for the future.

Don't request/use STL unless you are a 3d printer or stereolith house. 

STEP or IGES are intended for this.. STL is NOT.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums