Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL 2005 and ADMS 2012.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
shastu
280 Views, 7 Replies

SQL 2005 and ADMS 2012.

ADMS 2012 will run with SQL 2005, right?  I dont' see anything in the documentation about it and am getting nervous.  Can someone please verfy that for me?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
swalton
in reply to: shastu

SQL 2008 is required.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=17247402

Loouk under the "Autodesk Data Management Server Requirements" tab.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 8
shastu
in reply to: swalton

I probably should be able to answer this myself, but I must swallow my pride and ask anyway.  There is something that I just don't understand.  For testing purposes, I have installed the Autodesk Data Management Server Console 2012 on my laptop.  It is not a server, does not have SQL 2008 on it and yet it works just fine.  It is a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit machine. I can access all of my content center parts from multiple computers.  So it begs the question, why do I even need to run ADMS 2012 on a server with SQL 2008?

Message 4 of 8
swalton

Local database

By default, the server installer is configured to use a local database. If a compatible local SQL instance named 'AUTODESKVAULT' is detected, the server connects to the existing database. You are prompted to migrate the existing database once the installation is complete. If a local SQL instance named 'AUTODESKVAULT' is not detected or if the local instance is not compatible, then Microsoft SQL Express 2008 SP2 is installed.

from

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Vault/enu/2012/Help/03._Installation_and_Configuration/005Vault_Install...

Why a server with full sql?   Performance, database size, or replication across several sites.

Steve Walton
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 5 of 8
shastu

Thanks,

Very helpful.  That is what I was thinking as far as the performance and database size.  I don't feel like I really see much difference in the performance and I think we are O.K. on the database size.  I am very grateful for the documentation links so thanks again.

Message 6 of 8
shastu

What is the size limit of the 2008 express?  I never did see it in any of the documentation.

Message 7 of 8
swalton

See

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/product-info/compare.aspx

1 GB of ram and 10 GB of database.  The filestore can be as big as you have disk space, but the database is limited to 10 GB.  The database stores all of the links between the files and various user interactions with the files.  I think it took 2-3 years for us to go from an empty vault to 4GB of database.  we only have 4-5 users so we don't generate lots of transactions.

I would use a dedicated machine, even if its just an old workstation, rather than trying to run ADMS and IV on a production workstation.

Steve Walton

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 8 of 8
SBix26

For 2012, I'll be trying to use the Desktop Content Libraries located on a shared server instead of ADMS.  We're also five users, and don't use Content Center very much, so I'm hoping that this will be a simpler way to do what we want.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report