Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Running Dynamic Simulation on Assembly

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
BrocZimmerman8418
880 Views, 7 Replies

Running Dynamic Simulation on Assembly

I am running Autodesk Inventor Pro 2012 and am trying to start learning to use my dynamic simulation and FEA features. I recently just purchased the Up and Running series by Wasim Younis. I was working with his models on the multiple actuating jacks and noticed none of the features are constrained in the assembly. Now my question is, is this how these should always be setup? I am working on trying to set up a simulation of a frame I am rotating 90degrees with 2 hydraulic cylinders working together so as to use the strong side of each of the cylinderds when it goes each direction. The way I have it set up I have the whole thing constrained. The 2 cylinders are constrained so that they have their stroke 17.23" and the turntable frame is constrained to rotate 90degrees. So should I remove all constraints to run dynamic simulation? I attatched 2 photos to show the starting position (travel position) and ending position (working position). Thank you for the help.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Constraints and DS Joints are two different things.

Assembly Constraints remove DOF.

DS Joints add DOF.

Usually you can set Inventor to automatically convert constraints to joints, but as you learn DS Joints you might change the way you do assembly constraints (for example use point-point or point-axis constraints on second end of a linkage).

I have found that there are a lot of mistakes in the Younis book, but I have used these as instructive for the students as in the real world users make mistakes while books are often perfect or nearly perfect.  But these mistakes in a book can trip up new users trying to learn how to do something.

Is there any chance you can post the assembly here or send it to me if proprietary? (preferably post here so that several people can offer input)

jmather_at_pct_dot_edu

Also, I thought your Subject Title was misleading.  Sounded like you were trying to run Frame FEA Analysis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8

Seeing how I am fairly new to this stuff I can post it here. Do I need to zip it down? Or do I need to send all the components of the assembly with it. Sorry for all the questions but I am new to this all.

Message 4 of 8

If all files are not already in one folder run Pack and Go to collect them (need only ipt and iam files).

Depending on size you might neet to split across several folders.

Right click on folder and select Send to Compressed (zipped) folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

If any one part file is particularly large first drag the red End of Part marker to the top of the feature tree hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state before zipping.

Attachment limit is 1.5Meg per attachment here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 8

This is going to be 2 Messages JD. Thanks for the help. I hope this works. If you open the UTRTPD TT ASSY folder that is the main one. The Assembly is named Assembly Step 2. Then the other assemblies are in the other folders.

Message 6 of 8

And the Rest. I probably did that in more than needed because some of these are pretty small. I have to work on my data managment skills. LOL

Message 7 of 8

The turntable cylinders are not connected and I don't see the connection points in the model that are shown in your first picture.  Did you roll up the EOP (hide features) in any of the parts?

EESignature

Message 8 of 8

Yeah I did have to roll up some of the parts. Those ears they are connect to are some of them. They would be on the 52350 assembly. The  conection for the rod ends of the cylinders would be connected to a larger year that is also EOP.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report