Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating part in assembly

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
626 Views, 3 Replies

Rotating part in assembly

Hello,

I have an assebly where i have imported parts and other assemblies. Unfortunatly during process of assigning them together they have rotated by various angles.

Is it possible to somehow "reset" the rotation of part according to global xyz?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi arcueid.13,

Go to the Assemble tab > Productivity panel > Ground and Root Component button.

If you don't see the Productivity panel, you might need to enable it (if I'm remembering correctly this was required in some versions.) To enable the panel, go to the Assemble tab, then right click anywhere on the ribbon and choose Panels.

Edit: And if you don't see the panel listed in the right-click then go to the tools tab and click the Add-Ins button, and then look for the Assembly Bonus Tools, per mrattray's screen shot.

Thanks mrattray! Smiley Happy

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 4

You might be thinking of this:

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 4
dan_inv09
in reply to: Anonymous

I would use an angle constraint between the component's origin planes and the Assembly's origin planes.

Or something more "real world" like constraining faces that mate with a mate constraint, and/or mate two holes through which a bolt might be used to connect the two parts to each other.

Grounding things locks them in place and when someone comes along and tries to work with your assembly they are going to get frustrated trying to move things (until they realize what you've done and then have to go through and unground everything). Maybe you could have the first part grounded - that used to be the default - but I find it better to constrain it myself (sometimes people do silly things like build the whole part from one face rather than a plane of symmetry, or make a face that's always assembled at an angle along the x-axis, or make the bottom of the part on the x-y plane).

And then there is the problem of Inventor always thinking that if you, say, place a part pointing to the left, and the part it goes into to the left of it that you really meant for the part to go in facing to the right - and then when you add a constraint to say it has to point to the left, either rotating everything to face to the right, or if you locked things down sufficiently saying the constraint conflicts so you have to manually rotate it to the proper orientation and when you update it will finally snap in fine.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report