Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating in an assembly background.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
BillMazza
720 Views, 3 Replies

Rotating in an assembly background.

I have a part that I am inserting into an assembly, the assembly consists of a 2D AutoCAD Architectural background. I want to align the part, with the background itself, so I just need to turn it 90degrees. When I do a rotate, it keeps rotating it on a 3D axis, including when I use my grip edit, and use a line to align for the new rotation.

How do I quickly rotate a part so that it's not rotating on a 3D axis, it just rotates along the x,y axis?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: BillMazza

It is a bit unclear what you are trying to do.
The normal method is to use assembly constraints (perhaps with the origin planes).
Post screen capture or actual files here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

I hesitate to tell you this as it is propbably not the best way.
But if you click on one of the standard views before you rotate and then start the command you will see rotation axis outside of the arcball.  I think this is the same across Autodesk products.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
BillMazza
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JD,

Thanks for the help, I found the answer to my problem....I have to stop thinking AutoCAD.

I found that when I am using asset builder, putting in my connectors, setting the ground plane, etc....then I go to insert it into the assembly, It acts just the way I need it to.

I did just post another query just now, which is really troubling me, regarding multiple assets bogging down the whole Inventor platform.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report