Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rolling of perforated flat sheet

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2843 Views, 6 Replies

Rolling of perforated flat sheet

An interesting problem for all you inventor users.

I have a design where a tube/pipe requires a series of holes at a specific dia and triangular pitch is required to be modeled.

If one can imagine a flat piece of sheet steel ie standard perforated sheet  which is then rolled to form a pipe/tube to a specific dia then this is what is required.

Is it possible to model this in inventor say as a flat sheet with given thickness and a specific no of holes at a given pitch, this then to be rolled,obviously the development of the sheet to be correct for the pipe od.ie 3.142 x dia.

Is there a function in inventor to enable this,the alternative being a very long winded method of modeling the pipe and then adding holes.

Regards

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mpatchus
in reply to: Anonymous

Try using the UNFOLD and FOLD features like shown here.

Probably more than one way to do this, but this is one method.

Folded Pipe.JPG

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 7
JDMather

Contour Flange to model pipe.

Unfold

Hole by some method or other, (Hole, Cut, Punch, Extrude).
(Pattern if appropriate).

Refold

Flat Pattern

Attach your attempt here. 

I see Mike beat me to the answer and even modeled the example.

How will the holes be made in the real world?

If it matters, are you aware that they can be circular in the flat or in the bent part, but not both?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mpatchus

Mike

Your example looks like a real solution,i will give it a try.

Regards

Martin

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mpatchus

Mike

In answer to your question how will the holes be made in the real world.

What happens is that the section of pipe is centre punched using a 2d draughted template ,the template is then wrapped around the pipe centrepunched on the centrelines of the hole and then hand drilled,a time consuming process considering that sometimes as many as 500 holes are required,but its to date the best and easiest method yet.

One question from your solution ! wher can i find the folded model command?

Regards

Martin

Message 6 of 7
mpatchus

You have to start the part as a SHEET METAL part, or convert an existing part to a sheet metal part to gain access to the Fold & Unfold tools.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 7 of 7
IgorMir

Hi Martin,

Here is an example of the part which is good for laser cutting in flat state. Please see the attached. Once rolled up there should be no need to manually re-drill the holes.

For the triangular pitch for holes some more work is needed on the part. I will try to look into it later on.

Best Regards,

Igor. 

Web: www.meqc.com.au

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report