Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right hand and left hand parts

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Roger_Block
2984 Views, 3 Replies

Right hand and left hand parts

I have a modeled right hand part and a detail drawing of that right hand part with a pin that defines r.h from l.h. and I would like to save them as a left hand part then change the model by reversing the pin. How would I proceed with this task?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
danielw88
in reply to: Roger_Block

Whenever i do parts that have a right and a left and are the same, only mirrored, i use the following process.

I model the entire part as either a right or a left.

Once complete, i use the mirror function to mirror the entire part and i select 'delete original part'

In my i-parts table, i will create a member file for the right hand and left hand parts.

I will, then, suppress the mirror for the original part and include the mirror on the opposite part.

From there, if there are some features that are different from left to right, those features can be added and then suppressed/excluded from the i-part table.

Message 3 of 4
jletcher

Or you can do a derived part and use the mirror option at the bottom...

Look up derived parts in help.

Message 4 of 4
dan_inv09

You should probably use Design Assistant, or Copy Design (or whatever the Vault function is called) but for something seemingly this simple I'd make a copy of the drawing and a copy of the part/assembly then rename the original - put an x in front of it or something - and when you open the drawing it can't find the right hand, so tell it to use the copy. Then change the copy to be the left hand and fix the right hand's file name (and clean up the drawing) and you're done.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report