Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right Click in 2012... Contact Set or Suppress

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jdavis417
344 Views, 4 Replies

Right Click in 2012... Contact Set or Suppress

In 2011, I could RMB on a part or assembly, press the 'S' key for SUPPRESS.  In 2012 it seems to be CONTACT SET.  Can I change this back?

I'd be interested to hear if anyone uses Contact Set more that Suppress.

Thanks In Advance,

John

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: jdavis417

I don't use Contact Set very often, but I absolutely never, ever use Suppress.

You can change it back by invoking the Customize command (Tools tab), finding the commands in the Keyboard tab, and changing the shortcuts (deleting one, setting the other).

Message 3 of 5
jdavis417
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks for the reply!

You are appreciated...

Our assemblies often reach 10-20 thousand parts (as a side note, I could massively reduce that number but the trade-off would be bypassing Frame Generator and thousands of manually-placed assembly constraints), therefore LOD representations (and their ability to get parts out of memory) is a great thing.  LOD reps. allow me to work on these large models without waiting between clicks.

Now to the OP... are the keyboard shortcut settings you mentioned related to the Right Mouse Button (RMB)?  I don't see that any of the "areas" (Sketch, Assembly, etc.) are currently set to "S" as Contact Set.  What should I change?

Thanks again,

John

P.S.  Would you like to elaborate on how you never use suppression?  Are your models small?  Don't the drafting duties force you to control (at least) the visibily of objects?  For instance, we produce traditional Constrution Documents (Plans & Profiles) and some sheets are dedicated to one "genre" or "class" or "discipline" or "structure type" (you get it, right?). 

Message 4 of 5
SBix26

OK, I just re-read your original post.  The keys that activate stuff in a context menu (right click) are not related to the keyboard shortcuts at all.  To the best of my knowledge, these are hard-coded in the software and are not customizable by users.  You can see what key activates any entry in the menu by the little underscore under the letter (as is true for most Windows apps).

I opened up 2011 and looked, and it's the same as 2012-- the S key activates the Contact Set toggle, and there is no activation visible for Suppress.

The reason I never use LODs is, as you suspected, that our models are typically pretty small.  We control visibility with the Visibility attribute, which doesn't have anything to do with LODs.  View Representations are the means to control visibility in a more structured and associative manner, such as for drawing views.

Message 5 of 5
jdavis417

Thanks for making the effort on my behalf!

I've started to look through the RMB options a little more closely and am noticing that in some environments Contact Set is not an option (with NO "s"-shortcut option) while another DOES actually feature only Suppress an DOES have the "s"-shortcut option).  I'll try to document which-is-which.

Maybe it's not possible or reasonable, but between RMB options and entry fields, there are some odd inconsistancies in entry methods.  My most recent posts probably aren't very useful since they concern last years software.  Sorry.

I'm accepting your last reply as a solution.  Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report