Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rib function defect

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
-niels-
2779 Views, 6 Replies

Rib function defect

Could someone on this newsgroup or from autodesk please confirm this?

When you try to make a rib from sketch 17, does the rib also come up with this error message:

mk112.ipt: Errors occurred during update
     Rib3: Could not build this Rib
       The attempted operation did not terminate the Toolbody completely by the specified termination plane and/or part. Change the termination definition or the feature (profile) position.

If you then make a user workplane, redefine the same sketch to that plane and try the rib function again.

In my case, the same sketch then worked for making a rib but i feel like the origin plain should've worked just the same.

Settings for the rib are:

Thickness 3 mm both ways, extend profile unchecked, finite length of 100 mm toward the front of the part.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SteveMDennis
in reply to: -niels-

I get the same error no matter if I use the part as is or create a user work plane and redefine the sketch to it...

Maybe I'm missing something but aren't you trying to create a rib on the inside of a solid part?

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
-niels-
in reply to: SteveMDennis

Hello Steve,

The rib is supposed to go around the edge of the circular extrusion.

I might have mistaken myself with the 100 mm length, that probably should have been a little more though it didn't matter for the error.

I managed to get the rib working on a user workplane, i'll admit i didn't give a good description on how and where i made this so i'll attached the (nearly) finished model with this post.

I couldn't figure out why the rib doesn't work from the origin plane, i've done it that way before but this time it gave me that error.

If you compare the two models, could you tell my what might be wrong with my method of creating the rib from the origin plane?

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 7
SteveMDennis

Hi,

Thanks for the finished ribs.  The one that is failing has the sketch on the inside, it does not suprise me that it struggles to create a body this way.  Rib can be finicky in how it wants the inputs defined.

Generally you are safer creating the rib from the surface the ribs start at or into the part from a plane off the face.

This is what you've done with teh two user workplanes.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 7
-niels-
in reply to: SteveMDennis

Ok, thanks for giving a rule to work with.

It doesn't really explain why sometimes it works from the origin and sometimes it doesn't, but so be it...

I'll probably use the rib function a bit less because of this, since i prefer working from the origin instead of making user workplanes.

Is there any chance that there will improvements to the rib function in the future to make it less "finicky"?

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 6 of 7
greynails

I can't seem to get the rib function to work properly, the message - Modeling failure.  The tool body is not completely terminated by the termination plane and/or part.  Try changing the termination definition or the feature profile definition.- appears. I've read a few blogs and it's apperently due to .... ??! I've tried on different planes, different directions, different legnths etc, I do not know what to try anymore! Here's my .ipt with three different rib testing that do not work. Can someone please explain what I am doing incorrectly?

Thanks in advance!

Message 7 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: greynails

@greynails wrote:

Can someone please explain what I am doing incorrectly? 

If you do an Extrude rather than a Rib and zoom in here you should see why Rib cannot give you the results you (think) are after.

I fould other problems with your geometry as well that I don't think are your true design intent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report