Inventor General Discussion

brownn
Message 1 of 3 (1,123 Views)
Accepted Solution

Retrieve Dimension precision in IDW

1123 Views, 2 Replies
10-17-2013 08:43 AM

I've recently been playing with the "Retrieve Dimension" feature in IDWs to pull the model dimensions and tolerances from the IPT.  I'm wondering if I am understanding the behavior correctly.

The IPT Document Settings > Default Tolerance "Use" and "Export" standard tolerance values boxes are checked.

I have standard tolerances defined for .xx and .xxx precisions.  Default in the IPT is .xxx.

If I place a sketch dimension and extrude a feature, place that part in an IDW, and "Retrieve Dimension," the result is that the dimension's precision and tolerance are defined by the active IDW style.

However, if I place the sketch dimension, and then modify its precision to be something other than the IPT default, when I "Retrieve Dimension" in the IDW, it pulls the modified precision and tolerance from the IPT settings.

Is this the expected behavior?  When I see the box in the IPT Default Tolerance tab that says "Export Standard Tolerance Values," I understand that to mean that the standard tolerance values in the IPT will be propagated to the IDW.  Is this incorrect?

EDIT: I'm using Inventor Pro 2013

Thanks,

Nate

Employee
t_hutns
Message 2 of 3 (1,064 Views)

Re: Retrieve Dimension precision in IDW

10-28-2013 01:46 AM in reply to: brownn

Hello Nate,

Setting in IPT Document Settings > Default Tolerance "Export Standard Tolerance Values" is not intended to export tolerance to IDW but to iProperties of the part. When this setting is on then in iProperties of the document there is custom property PartAngTol*/PartLinTol* created for every default tolerance defined.

It is legacy as designed behavior that default tolerance defined in “Document Settings > Default Tolerance“ is not propagated to IDW when retrieving dimensions to IDW. If you wish some change in current behavior please log a request to IdeaStation.

Thank you for your input

Stanislav Hutnan
Inventor Development
Autodesk

brownn
Message 3 of 3 (1,055 Views)

Re: Retrieve Dimension precision in IDW

10-28-2013 04:34 AM in reply to: brownn

Stanislav,

Thanks for your reply.  I will leave the "Export Standard Tolerance Values" setting alone, then, since it does not do what I thought it did.

Thanks!

Nate

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube