Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report a calculated bend allowance in a sheet metal bend table

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mkaltenborn
1117 Views, 7 Replies

Report a calculated bend allowance in a sheet metal bend table

My company has a requiremenrt to display the calculated bend allowance for each bend in a bend table.

I have looked into the custom formula style but find that although the bend allowance can be calculated there is no way I can find to report or assign this value to a useable parameter.

iLogic comes close but there is no way to know what the bend angle parameter for each bend is until the part is designed.

The bend table allows the addition of columns, but no way to perform calculations.

So, if anyone has a creative way to get a calculated bend allowance into a sheet metal bend table I ill be your friend for life and let you ride my bicycle.

MHK

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pauldoubet
in reply to: mkaltenborn

Are you using the K factor method for bend allowance?

Paul

Message 3 of 8
mkaltenborn

At this time we are using a Sheet Metal Unfold rule. The bend table option is used for 90 degree bends. I could use a kFactor if that would result in the ability to calculate and assign the resultant bend allowance to a parameter. The end game is to call the flat panel extents (done) and the calculated bend allowance in a sketched symbol or a drawing bend table. I prefer the drawing bend table since each bend bend allowance would be reported.

Thank you,

Message 4 of 8
pauldoubet

If you are using a relatively recent version of Inventor you can setup a custom iProperty and use a formula to define the value of the iProperty. Each bend has a parameter value for the bend angle which could be used to calculate the bend allowance. I am not sure about the bend table because I have not used that previously.

If you need additional assistance I could post a screen capture to help you get started.

Paul

Message 5 of 8
mkaltenborn

Thank you for your effort. Unfortunately all of the parameters needed aren't available. In addition one never knows what the parameter number of any bend will be until it is created in the model. The same problem exists with iLogic since you don't know what the bend angle parameter will be until the part is created. This is quite a dillema.

Again, thanks,

Message 6 of 8
pauldoubet

I don't agree with the parameters not all being available. I have done extensive work with sheet metal parts and Sheet Metal Rule styles as well as creating formula driven parameters that are used in parts lists and BOM data. Not all parameters are exposed to the user, however there is a bit of code that can be run to list all of the parameters in a file.

Paul

Message 7 of 8
mkaltenborn

Ah ha ! So there is a bit of code I would love to know about.

Message 8 of 8
pauldoubet

I know it was posted here on the forum. Not sure if you can find it by searching or not. I can post it on Tuesday when I am back at work. There are a number of unexposed parameters although I can't quote you a number at this time.

Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report