Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Render animation time

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
Anthony
1819 Views, 20 Replies

Render animation time

I have a simplistic model (4 parts, 10 or so screws) that I am trying to render an animation through using Studio with the lowest possible output settings, my concern is that the render time is extraordinary long even for the most basic of assembly, why is this ? I have also tried the animate when in an IPN file which does improve render time but the quality is not very good. I will now try using keyframe animation in Showcase to see if I can get an animation with good quality completed within the hour ! Has anyone else experience these VERY poor render times for basic animations or am I missing something here ? 

Anthony Goodwin ~ Cad Manager/Senior Designer
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 SP2 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz
12.0GB RAM, ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL)
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
jmeerzo
in reply to: Anthony

this is happening to me me as well. i thought that i would be able to use the cloud to render but it doesn't appear that i can. 

Message 3 of 21
JDMather

System specs?

Length of animation?

Post assembly here so others can test.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 21
jmeerzo

system specs -

processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz

RAM - 12GB

Windows 7 (64 bit)

length of animation is 40 seconds. it is a fly by of a 4 pump water pumping station.

i cannot upload the assembly due to work regulations.

Message 5 of 21
JDMather
in reply to: jmeerzo

What version of Inventor?
Have you installed all service packs?

Graphics card specs?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 21
jmeerzo

inventor 2013

i don't believe there are any service packs available yet.

Message 7 of 21
JDMather

@Jared wrote:

inventor 2013

i don't believe there are any service packs available yet.

How about this Update (I haven't read what it actually covers -might not be anything for Studio).

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=19656800&linkID=9242019

EESignature

Message 8 of 21
jmeerzo

yes i do have that update installed

Message 9 of 21
Anthony

Inventor 2013 64-BIt Edition SP1 Beta

HP Z400 3.07GHz, 12GB RAM

ATI FirePro V4800(FireGL)

I have checked this spec out with our IT company and through posts on the internet , this spec meets and more than exceeds the requirements of Inventor however the render time is still chronically slow, is this a problem with IV itself, I cannot wait 2 days for a simple render animation 

Message 10 of 21
Anthony

I have now tried to render a 10 second video in Showcase with the Ray Tracing visual style set and this is taking an painful amount of time (35% completed - Elapsed time = 10 minutes), can anyone advise on how to improve this ?

Message 11 of 21
nannerdw

Are you rendering at 30 frames per second?  ~6 seconds per frame sounds excellent to me, especially with ray tracing enabled.  Of course, even though you only have 4 parts + 10 screws, the complexity of the parts could have a huge impact on render time.  If any features are too small to show up in the rendered video, making a simplified version of the part will improve your render time.

If you open up task manager during the render, how much of your ram and cpu is getting utilized?

Message 12 of 21
Anthony
in reply to: nannerdw

Hi, I think it was set at about 5 frames per second but even with this low value it's grinds and grinds to the point where I just cancel it. I can't believe such a simple assembly animation can be such a problem in Showcase, I have tried rendering animation with ALL the lowest settings and it's really really slow. I've seen many posts on this subject regarding similar issues. I will check CPU ram during render and get back to you. Cheers

Message 13 of 21
JDMather

Without the files - not sure how the problem can be solved.

Even with the files it might be difficult to solve if it is a hardware setup problem.

The only thing I can think of is a comparable test on identical dataset.

If I go through the Help>Tutorials Studio Tutorial and test the Render time - can you do the same?

Studio - Animations.png

EESignature

Message 14 of 21
Anthony
in reply to: JDMather

Hi, I'm afraid I cannot post files due to company policy, thank you for this link, I cannot find it however under the help menu, could you point me in the right direction ? Thanks

Message 15 of 21
JDMather

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/0126-Tutorial126/0127-Inventor127/0434-Studio_-4...

EESignature

Message 16 of 21
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

I just ran a test on my laptop using the Tutorial dataset (Arbor Press) with the actions indicated in the tutorial.

I set a 300x500 for the size 15 frames per second for 3 seconds.  Highest anti-alias, full frame (no compression) avi file.

On battery power took 16 minutes.

On power supply took about 11 minutes.

Seemed pretty normal time to me for rendering an animation.

EESignature

Message 17 of 21

To Improve rendering time there are many things to check:

• Make sure you remove all objects in the scene that are not visible when rendering.
  • What settings do you have set for you movie format? Have you tried different codecs?
Message 18 of 21

Hello. Thanks for your reply. I only have the model I have imported from IV 2013 visible, I am using a Hdr image as a backdrop to the scene. I am not sure how to try different codecs as you have suggested but the settings I am using for rendering are save as: MPEG-4 movie(MP4), preset sizes:800x600, Frames per second:25, Anti-aliasing:Low. With these settings I do get quite a reasonable render rate, however the problem occurs when I try to output with these setting with ray trace included, it grinds to a halt and crashes.

Message 19 of 21

See if the same thing happens if you save as AVI. Also do the same test with the different scene. I could be that the graphics is bottoming out.

Message 20 of 21

Hello. I have left a video rendering overnight with the above settings - took nearly 4 hours to render a 40 second ray trace scene. I will try this with AVI as you suggest. Can you tell me what you mean by the same test with a different scene ? Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report