Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove bend extents line in flat

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
davef_1988
3549 Views, 13 Replies

Remove bend extents line in flat

I am just wondering if there is a way to remove the bend extents line when you create flat pattern.  I dont mean in the drawing, the actual flat itself.  My reasoning for this is when i transfer the flat into my nesting program, the bend extents lines transfer too.  See attached img.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
japike
in reply to: davef_1988

When you do the Save Copy As and the Flat Pattern DXF Export Options dialog appears, select the Layer tab and turn Tangent Lines off.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 3 of 14
poplawa
in reply to: japike

Is is possible to remove these lines in drawing environment?

Message 4 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: poplawa

Hi! Absolutely yes! Edit the flat pattern view and go to Display tab -> uncheck Bend Extent option.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 14
BPAMPS
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Can you post an example? I am having the same issue as above and do not see this option....cheers.

Message 6 of 14
BPAMPS

Any luck figuring this out, I'm having the exact same issue. Thanks!

Message 7 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: BPAMPS

Hi! I thought my prior comment should resolve the issue already. Could you share an example showing that it does not work?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 14
-niels-

In IV2018 (probably 2017 too, not sure about earlier versions) the checkbox is on the main component tab:

afbeelding.png

If, on a drawing, you also want to make the remaining bend centerlines invisible... i guess the easiest would be to turn of the layer they are on:

afbeelding.png

Hope this helps

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 9 of 14
mschultz

Same issue. Original question was NEVER answered. I want a sheet metal flat showing the bend line. What I don't want is the bend extents along with the 2 additional lines it inserts into my flat. Export a DXF and sure enough instead of one line, I have two little lines representing the bend extents. I need to investigate Solidworks.

Message 10 of 14
IgorMir
in reply to: mschultz

I don't see what the problem is? When Saving As a Flat pattern - in Configuration DB go to Layers tab and turn IV_Tangent Layer off. Save the configuration for future use. That's it. Here is an example in IV 2018 format.

Cheers,

Igor.

@mschultz wrote:

Same issue. Original question was NEVER answered. I want a sheet metal flat showing the bend line. What I don't want is the bend extents along with the 2 additional lines it inserts into my flat. Export a DXF and sure enough instead of one line, I have two little lines representing the bend extents. I need to investigate Solidworks.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 11 of 14
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mschultz

Hi! Indeed, I agree with Igor. I am not sure I understand the issue. Could you share an example what exactly you are talking about? Also I am not sure why SWX is related to this discussion.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 14
ismailurfan121

Hi davef_1988  and mschultz. I think i kow the exact solution to your problem.

Follow these steps after you create your flat pattern.

1 - Uncheck the "bend extends" checkbox under "bend lines" under "browser".

2 - Create a sketch and select the flat face of your model ( not the origin planar ).

3 - Press "P" to select bend lines and chose "body" as selection filter under "project" options.

4 - Then select one of your bend lines.

5 - Click "okay" then click "finish sketch".

6 - Now you can export your sketch in DXF format with 1 center line per bend, instead of 1 center line and 2 bend extend line per bend.

Message 13 of 14
davesmith00

Hi all,

I have a question that is similar to this thread. Is it possible to edit bend lines and bend extents in the flat pattern environment, removing unwanted lines before export to dxf? An example of this application would be a sheet metal part, light sheet, that has flanges but also a large sweeping bend with a CLR of 300mm for example (a V-belt guard). I wouldnt want to export to dxf with the bend line layer inclusive of the large sweped bend as i could form this by hand as i fabricate (tac weld) the part. or roll it myself instead of sending the info to the cutter / bender and potentially confuse them.

Would i possibly need to make a derived copy somehow and unfold the areas i dont want to export to stp or dxf?

Message 14 of 14
johnsonshiue

Hi Dave,

Yes, I think it is doable on a per layer basis. When you export the flat pattern to dxf, there are layer controls allowing you to skip bend lines, inner profiles, outer profiles, and so on. On the flat pattern, you can also create your own bend lines, called cosmetic center lines. Is this what you are looking for?

Please feel free to share an example here. Forum experts can help comment on specifics.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums