Community
Vault Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Vault Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Vault topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refresh File versus Revert to Latest

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jthurbs
3840 Views, 6 Replies

Refresh File versus Revert to Latest

Could someone explain the difference between the "Refresh File" and "Revert to Latest" commands in the Vault browser within Inventor 2013?  We just started using the Vault Collaboration 2013 flavor of Vault.  Any input or links to related documentation would be appreciated.

Thanks much

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
r.smith1
in reply to: jthurbs

Hi jthurbs

Refresh file - Updates the selected file(s) with the properties in the vault.

Revert to latest - Gets the latest version from Vault and replaces the file open in the CAD session, or if not in the CAD application, copies the latest to your local drive.   

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
throuble

Ron,

Actually, I have found that this is not what takes place.  For instance, a coworked of mine has an assembly checked out from Vault (2013), but I want to make some temporary changes in this assembly.  So, I toggle the properties of the file (on my computer) from "read only" to "read/write".  Now Inventor allows me to make chages in my local copy.  so, I make a change and then save the file (on my computer).  When I am done messing around and want to revert back to the latest in Vault, I choose "Revert to latest" in the Vault tree, but this does not refresh from Vault.  So, as far as I can tell, there is no way from within Inventor to get latest from Vault if I have made a change to a part or assembly without checking it out.  Can you verify whether this is so?

-Thom

Message 4 of 7
r.smith1
in reply to: throuble

That is not recommended workflow.  If you are circumventing the system, you will need to close the assembly, get latest from Vault explorer, or open from Vault from Inventor to update the local file back to latest from Vault.  We do not recommend toggling the read/write permissions of the file.  

Ron Smith
New Product Introduction Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 7
jthurbs
in reply to: r.smith1

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the response.  Is it normal operation for 'Revert to Latest' to check out the files?  Also, when refresh file updates the properties, will it update the 3D geometry to the newest vault version or just various file properties?

Thanks much,

Jon

Message 6 of 7
crothgebCF5AM

Hi, I'd like to add to this question:

When you say "refresh file" updates the PROPERTIES, do you mean these properties?

properties.png

Also, when I "revert to latest" does that means it completely replaces the local file (including sub-assemblies) and the properties with the latest version that is in Vault?

Also, are these the refresh options we are talking about?

Vault Update Vs Revert.png

Message 7 of 7
gandhey
in reply to: crothgebCF5AM

Hello @crothgebCF5AM ,

All these commands serve different purpose.

Refresh file : checks for local file version Vs latest version in vault and updates the files and replaces the files from vault (latest version) and bring them in the inventor session. This will also replace the structure of the file if there are any changes.

Update properties : this just checks for the property values of files in session vs the property values for same files in vault. When this is run only the files where property values are different are updated for properties. Yes it means all the iProperties mapped to vault will be updated.

Revert to Latest : this command is used to make the historic version of the file latest in vault.

(Solved: Make older version newest version - Autodesk Community - Vault)

regards,

Yogeshwar

(Vault team)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report