Inventor General Discussion

paulmcnamara6162
Message 1 of 5 (1,312 Views)
Accepted Solution

Redefining coordinate system so floor is correct in Showcase

1312 Views, 4 Replies
08-24-2011 06:39 PM

Hi,

I am trying to use showcase, but when i insert my model, it is upside down.

I've tried resetting the home view in Inventor, but still when I open it in showcase, the floor does not change it's position.

So it appears the floor is defined purely by the xyz coordinates.

I tried redefining the planes in the pinned .ipt part in my assembly but it fell apart due to other features.

How on earth do I do this? you would think it would be as simple as redifining the floor, but the only thing i can seem to do is move the floor up and down, not flip it around.

Thanks

Employee
Allen.Bai
Message 2 of 5 (1,304 Views)

Re: Redefining coordinate system so floor is correct in Showcase

08-24-2011 08:25 PM in reply to: paulmcnamara6162

Hi,

when importing Inventor model to Showcase, you can check on "Open the Import Status Window" in the Convert Imported Models dialog, so that you can see Import Status dialog during import. Select the model name and in righ-click context menu you can modify the Model Properties... which includes Unit & Original up-axis to adjust the imported models.

After imported, you can set Floor Position in Showcase via "Edit->Set Floor Position...", generally "Move to Bottom of Model" to make the model look like placing on the floor.

Hope it helps.

Allen Bai
Senior User Experience Designer
Design, Lifecycle & Simulation
paulmcnamara6162
Message 3 of 5 (1,298 Views)

08-24-2011 08:59 PM in reply to: Allen.Bai

Thanks that almost worked, but there are not enough options to change the axis.

I am only given the option to change the original up-axis to +Z or +Y.

It loads +Y on my model by default, however my model needs to have +Y pointing down in order to be upright...

It looks better when i change it to +Z, but ideally i need the Y axis pointing down.

any ideas?

Employee
Allen.Bai
Message 4 of 5 (1,290 Views)

08-24-2011 10:00 PM in reply to: paulmcnamara6162

You also need to ajust the position on imported models. Select the models you want to adjust and press [H] key, you can see there is a coordinate system actived on the model. And, you can change it to any position you want via rotate or move.

11.PNG

Allen Bai
Senior User Experience Designer
Design, Lifecycle & Simulation
paulmcnamara6162
Message 5 of 5 (1,286 Views)

08-24-2011 10:09 PM in reply to: Allen.Bai

Thanks! press H, couldn't have been much simpler!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube