Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Upgrade Procedure

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jeanchile
682 Views, 7 Replies

Recommended Upgrade Procedure

Hello all,

I seem to remember somewhere in the past seeing a "recommended upgrade procedure" kind of thing and I can't seem to locate through searching the forum. It was like a list of things to do and in which order like: Uninstall older version, install new version, migrate templates, then CC, etc.

Is there a document somewhere that you guys know about. We are about to jump from 2011 to 2013 and I want to make sure this goes as smoothly as possible. When we went from 2010 to 2011 we all got new machines and didn't have to uninstall anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Inventor Professional
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mflayler2
in reply to: jeanchile

Jean, there is a lot of information here to help you out...

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/0000-Installa0/0192-Data_Mig192/0193-Data_Mig193

more importantly you want to read about the changes to Materials and Appearances and hot to correctly work with them.

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2012/07/migrating-to-2013-materials-and-colors-tre...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 8
jeanchile

Excellent, thank you. I remember a list somewhere of what to do in the right order as well. Do you know if it matters what order this stuff is done in?

Inventor Professional
Message 4 of 8
blair

If you have any customer materials/apperances, migrate them first into IV2013 before doing and IPT, IAM, IPN and IDW files.

We always copy/burn all our existing Inventor files to a DVD or two before we migrate. We use the Taskmanager to migrate all IPT files first, then the IAM files after and lastly the IPN and IDW files. It takes a couple of evenings to complete.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 8
jeanchile
in reply to: blair

That is good information blair and I thank you for it. I hope this transition goes smoothly.

Inventor Professional
Message 6 of 8
blair

There is a great section in the Autodesk Wiki Help under Installation and sub heading Data Migration:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/0000-Installa0

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 8
SBix26

@jeanchile wrote:

Hello all,

I seem to remember somewhere in the past seeing a "recommended upgrade procedure" kind of thing and I can't seem to locate through searching the forum. It was like a list of things to do and in which order like: Uninstall older version, install new version, migrate templates, then CC, etc.

Is there a document somewhere that you guys know about. We are about to jump from 2011 to 2013 and I want to make sure this goes as smoothly as possible. When we went from 2010 to 2011 we all got new machines and didn't have to uninstall anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

You don't need to uninstall anything this time, either, unless you really want to.  2011 can stay on your systems unless you need the hard drive space.

Message 8 of 8
jeanchile
in reply to: SBix26

Great, thank you Sam. We'll likely leave this version on one machine until we have everything installed and configured correctly.

Which leads me to my next question that I posted over here in the installation and licensing forum. If anyone of you have the time to take a look at our initial test issue I would appreciate it.

The long story short is we are wondering if you can change IV configurations (No Vault, Local Content Center, etc.) after the installation process has been completed.

Inventor Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report