Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realy learning Inventor the correct way.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
jasonptaylor
554 Views, 14 Replies

Realy learning Inventor the correct way.

Hello All,

I need to get to a point were using inventor is not jeopardizing my job because of my slower productivity. I am the first one at my company to start using 3D out side of some staff in Asia the know Full AutoCAD and it took years to get someone in management to give me the budget to buy Inventor 2008 and that was at a discount because of my AutoCAD LT 2006 ownership.

I have been using SketchUp Pro for years for conceptualization and light CAD illustration because of its speed and flexibility, but it will get you 3/4's the way to your goal and no further plus even moderately complex models really bog down the hardware.

When I first started using CAD I was thrown in the fire. I had to learn it on the fly and luckily AutoCAD's learning curve is steep but short and was able to start producing usable drawings quickly.

NOW my point. Since I have had no formal training and the company I work for is not likely to spring for any and I live in a geographic area that doesn't have any good way for me to get training for my self (S.E. Iowa) what would be a good path?
What books, what cd/dvd's, online options anything that would help me be faster more productive, and more professional.

I also though i saw a reference to being able to apply for a "take home license" so that i could learn/train after work at home. Does anyone know more about this?

The funny thing is since i started using SketchUp / 3D our time to market and prototyping costs have gone way down. Probably enough to pay for three more seats (that i need to get the whole company over to Inv) and training.

Jason Taylor
Inventor 2008
AutoCAD LT 2006, 2004, 2002
SketchUP pro 5 & 6
Alibre
all on a slow box but two 20" monitors vertically
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mikegore
in reply to: jasonptaylor

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3472801/Autodesk-Inventor-2008-Essentials-AOTC
Message 3 of 15
spanner

If you've been using the software already.
I can't recommend enough a 1 or 2 day bespoke training course with your local reseller.
Get a list together of the items you want to cover.

You'll get more out of this, Quickly and be super productive.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

I have a live online class starting within a week.

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr.
AIP 2008 SP2, AIP 2009 PcCillin AV
HP zv5000 AMD64 2GB
Geforce Go 440, Driver: .8185
XP Pro SP2, Windows XP Silver Theme
http://teknigroup.com
wrote in message news:5963944@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello All,

I need to get to a point were using inventor is not jeopardizing my job
because of my slower productivity. I am the first one at my company to start
using 3D out side of some staff in Asia the know Full AutoCAD and it took
years to get someone in management to give me the budget to buy Inventor
2008 and that was at a discount because of my AutoCAD LT 2006 ownership.

I have been using SketchUp Pro for years for conceptualization and light CAD
illustration because of its speed and flexibility, but it will get you 3/4's
the way to your goal and no further plus even moderately complex models
really bog down the hardware.

When I first started using CAD I was thrown in the fire. I had to learn it
on the fly and luckily AutoCAD's learning curve is steep but short and was
able to start producing usable drawings quickly.

NOW my point. Since I have had no formal training and the company I work for
is not likely to spring for any and I live in a geographic area that doesn't
have any good way for me to get training for my self (S.E. Iowa) what would
be a good path?
What books, what cd/dvd's, online options anything that would help me be
faster more productive, and more professional.

I also though i saw a reference to being able to apply for a "take home
license" so that i could learn/train after work at home. Does anyone know
more about this?

The funny thing is since i started using SketchUp / 3D our time to market
and prototyping costs have gone way down. Probably enough to pay for three
more seats (that i need to get the whole company over to Inv) and training.

Jason Taylor
Inventor 2008
AutoCAD LT 2006, 2004, 2002
SketchUP pro 5 & 6
Alibre
all on a slow box but two 20" monitors vertically
Message 5 of 15
dacton

Take home license, a subscription user benefit.

If I remember correctly, a subscription user is allowed to use the license on a home machine. If you have a subscribed networked license, you have to apply/fill out a form and send it in. Stand-alone subscriber can install without "permission".

I was in your shoes a couple years ago, but it was just me, no other users to pick up during the curve. If your not a subscriber, I'd recommend trying to get it. Many useful benefits. Re-selller is also a good place to get information for training (at least it should be). Start engaging with management to get you to AU2008 (Autodesk University). Tons of classes to help you and many ways to get networking started there.
Message 6 of 15
jasonptaylor

Thanks.
The scibd page stop loading at page 271. I tried the download and it fails.
Message 7 of 15
ampster402

Talk to whom ever you purchased your Inventor software about getting a HULA (Home User License Agreement).

After twisting a few arms at my last company, a couple of us were able to obtain a HULA for home use - but without any support what so ever from our employer. We were on our own.
Message 8 of 15
golub1

For those of us located outside major centers, online courses like the one Dennis teaches are really the answer.

II also enjoyed the fact that our training was only 3-4 hrs each session, once per week. The training at most VAR's is 3-4 x 8 hr days, way too much to absorb in one go if you are new to the technology. With Dennis' system I had time to actually work with the program on my own, trying to use what I learned on the job, before moving onto learning something new.

Believe me, it still felt like drinking from a fire hose, and there were still lots of frustrating days. No matter what your VAR tells you, Inventor is not Intuitive, it will not instantly solve all your detailing and design problems. If the program was that smart it wouldn't need the human counterpart anymore, LOL.

What Inventor will do, ONCE you've mastered it, is allow you to do most types of design work more efficiently, and allow for design reuse on a far greater level than AutoCAD. The accuracy of your drawings also can't really be overemphasized. This WILL save your company countless hours on the shop floor. I've proven it myself, even in our heavy steel custom fabrication shop, and I'm still learning.

During your training though, be practical and expect your first few projects to take 3-4 times longer than if you had just done them in AutoCad. Also understand that no matter what training you take, it will take you about a year to become anywhere near as efficient as you probably are with AutoCAD.

Regardless, I firmly believe that training is ESSENTIAL for this program. You can learn a lot from the tutorials, the built-in help inside Inventor, and these forums. Training will get you there faster though, and hopefully before you develop bad, time-wasting habits.

Best regards,
Shawn Fitzpatrick (Teckni Inaugural Group Alumni)
Message 9 of 15
jasonptaylor

I bought with company money it and it is registered in my name. It is a stand alone license.
Message 10 of 15
jasonptaylor

How are you classes structured and what time do they run?
Message 11 of 15
golub1

Best thing is to check out his web site - http://teknigroup.com

Basically its like normal instructor lead classes, except you hear him over VoIP and see his Inventor screen over the shared desktop connection. It works best if you have dual monitors so you can play with your own Inventor while watching him on the other monitor. I wouldn't avoid the class if you don't have a second monitor, but its definitely much better if you do.

Cheers,
Shawn
Message 12 of 15
ampster402

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 22:55:05 +0000, mahuska wrote:

> I bought with company money it and it is registered in my name. It is a
> stand alone license.

quote from your first post;
"I also though i saw a reference to being able to apply for a "take home
license" so that i could learn/train after work at home. Does anyone know
more about this?"

I believe the HULA is what you were refering to in that statement. It's
been a couple of years since I had one. But it allowed us to use the
Inventor serial number our company had for our home installations.

We had to have whom ever "signed" for the software at the company approve
our request for the HULA license. Since the software is in your name
mahuska, you should be able to obtain a HULA with your own name.

Sorry I don't have the info you'll need in order to obtain a HULA for
yourself. That's why I mentioned contacting whom ever you got the
software from.
Message 13 of 15
misterblobby

Maybe try Mechanical Desktop first, it runs in Autocad and has a lot of features (like object snaps and a UCS command) that have been neglected in Inventor.

MDT and Inventor are reasonably similar. I have been using MDT for 10 years and lost a large percentage of my commands when changing over, so I found it extremely frustrating moving from MDT to Inventor. However, newer guys here who learnt to draw in autocad & started doing 3D stuff on MDT found the transition very easy, since they didn't have all the old MDT commands set in stone inside their heads yet.
Message 14 of 15
JDMather

>lost a large percentage of my commands

Can you provide a list so that we can lobby for their inclusiion into Inventor?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 15 of 15
misterblobby

Will do - I'm gradually building up a list and will post it on this forum once it's a bit more complete.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report