Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realtime distance in assembly as a function of another varying distance

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
jmchassot
737 Views, 10 Replies

Realtime distance in assembly as a function of another varying distance

Hi,

Here is the problem I try to solve, probably not being familiar enough to Inventor yet.

In my assembly, 2 different sub-assemblies (let's say A and B) are constrained to move along 2 different rails perpendicular to one another.

I'd like to link the position of B as a function of the position of A, but cannot do it in "realtime".

Actually, I tried to use fx parameters to link B to A, but couldn't find the way to update those parameters so that B would change position as soon as I drag A along its rail with my mouse.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mdavis22569
in reply to: jmchassot

By chance is one of them dim' so it can't move and that constraint needs to be suppressed? If not: Then go into your Parameters ..make a new one call it whatever you want Distance ... then put the value in it that you'd like them to be apart by. Now go and place the constraint for the distance ... in the box you'll see an arrow on the right, click on it and list parameters and find the new one you made... or type in the name of the one you made for example Distance (exactly how it's spelled or it won't work) ...and you then should have the contraint you're looking for from what I'm understanding and reading you need

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
jmchassot
in reply to: mdavis22569

Thank you for the answer Michael.

But I've not been clear enough obviously.

So, in detail :

Two straight rails Rx and Ry are fastened to a reference solid S. Ry is perpendicular to Rx and S doesn't move.

Sub assembly A is moving on rail Rx. Let's call x its position on this rail. (Actually x is the distance value of a constraint between A and S).

Sub assembly B is moving on rail Ry. Let's call y its position on this rail. (Actually y is the distance value of a constraint between B and S).

A and B are mobile (neither x nor y will be constant), so that I can't define a constant distance between A and B and apply it as a constraint value.

Actually, I'm looking for a way to set y as a function of x ( y=f(x) ), so as to see B moving along its rail Ry while I drag A whith the mouse along its rail Rx.

Any idea again?

Message 4 of 11
JDMather

Can you attach the assembly here (or a simplified representative assembly)?

Do you have Inventor Professional with Dymamic Simulation?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 11
jmchassot
in reply to: JDMather

Hi,

See the attachement as an example (TestAssembly.iam)

Both black solids move independently, but I'd like their postions to be linked in some kind of y=f(x) function.

Message 6 of 11
mdavis22569

Here I put in to F(x) parameters of distance is this what you're looking for? I've attached a .zip back .not sure if it'll let me attach it. I think my network blocks me from posting ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
mdavis22569

If not it doesn't show up .. Go to the F(x) A pop up box will come up.. To to the bottom and hit Add Numeric Put in the name you want for the first one (I used Distance) put in the distance you want to start with. I put in 120mm Repeat this for each one as needed ..giving them different names. Now go into your model and make a constraint. For the value put in the name of the Parameter you just made for it ...or click the arrow and pick List parameter. Repeat this as needed.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
jmchassot

Thanks Michael.

Your attachment actually doesn't show up.

But I think you didn't understand  what I'm looking for, since if I follow your indication, the positions of both solids are not linked to each other by any mathematical relationship, nor updated in realtime.

Message 9 of 11
mrattray

I don't know of anyway to do this outside of Dynamic Simulation (edit: Due to the free drag requirement. If you can handle manually inputing an x value then Inventor can certainly drive a y value using an f(x)). Can you answer JD's question (do you have Inventor Professional)?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 11
jmchassot
in reply to: JDMather

Yes, I have Inventor Professional.

How could it help me?

Message 11 of 11
gsmith9810

A relationship between your X and Y can easily be set and driven by usingthe DRIVE CONSTRAINT function.

If you can establish a "hidden" mechanical relationship, you might be able to drag you X and have the Y move in "real time" - if for instance you can create some hidden parts (tracks with tangent constraints, cams, etc...) Those parts can be undisplayed during the drag.

Otherwise as mentioned above, you'll need other tools.

-------------------------------------------------------
Gary Smith
Inventor Product Design Suite 2013sp2
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report