Inventor General Discussion

Valued Contributor
methoni
Message 1 of 8 (236 Views)
Accepted Solution

REVOLVED MATTRESS SPRING

236 Views, 7 Replies
02-06-2014 07:09 AM

I have an application  where  i can use a mattress type spring,what i need to do is show this in a circular form ie round,what i was hoping to do was to use

the sheet metal tool-first to sketch out the profile ie as attachment, and then roll/ bend this around an axis,is this feasable or am i going about this the wrong way.

Ideally the spring section should be round, in this application 3 mm dia.

Any suggestions.

Mentor
pball
Message 2 of 8 (224 Views)

Re: REVOLVED MATTRESS SPRING

02-06-2014 07:32 AM in reply to: methoni

For the profile you have shown in your attachment there are easier ways to do it. I started by drawing a single section in one sketch, then drawing a circle perpendicular to the end of that profile. Then I used the sweep command to create spring and a rectangular pattern to add more sections.

I don't quite follow the part about rolling/bending around an axis. If you provide a sketch or example of what you mean then someone should be able to help out. It could mean modifying what I've posted or maybe doing it a different way. The part I attached is from Inventor 2014.

spring.PNG

spring 2.PNG

Valued Contributor
methoni
Message 3 of 8 (215 Views)

02-06-2014 08:05 AM in reply to: pball
Thanks for the reply, the actual modeling of the spring and sweeping along the path is reasonably easy ,the problem is revolving or bending this around an axis to form a circular shape.
Perhaps I should just create a sweep path first and then bend around an axis then create a circle to sweep.
Have a look at the attachment,this will show you what I mean.
Regards
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 4 of 8 (200 Views)

02-06-2014 08:15 AM in reply to: methoni

methoni wrote:

...roll/ bend this around an axis,is this feasable or am i going about this the wrong way.

Any suggestions.

I would create in finished form to begin with.  Here is a more complex example

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%2011%20Tutorial%207.pdf

and

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Circular-Coil/td-p/4792557

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Valued Contributor
methoni
Message 5 of 8 (189 Views)

02-06-2014 08:28 AM in reply to: JDMather
Thanks JD
I will have a go,perhaps I can form a small section of the spring and the create a circular patern and join.
Regards
Valued Mentor
IgorMir
Message 6 of 8 (157 Views)

02-06-2014 04:27 PM in reply to: methoni

Hi Methoni,

That should give you some ideas how to approach the task at hand. Please have a look at the attached (IV 2010) file.

Best Regards,

Igor.

methoni wrote:

I have an application  where  i can use a mattress type spring,what i need to do is show this in a circular form ie round,what i was hoping to do was to use

the sheet metal tool-first to sketch out the profile ie as attachment, and then roll/ bend this around an axis,is this feasable or am i going about this the wrong way.

Ideally the spring section should be round, in this application 3 mm dia.

Any suggestions.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Valued Contributor
methoni
Message 7 of 8 (130 Views)

02-07-2014 02:53 AM in reply to: IgorMir

Thanks IgorMir

Thats exactly what i was looking for.,good stuff.

Regards

Valued Mentor
IgorMir
Message 8 of 8 (123 Views)

02-07-2014 03:17 AM in reply to: methoni

You are welcome!

Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube