Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about choosing videocard / laptop (sorry if in the wrong section)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
xkoeckiiej
348 Views, 4 Replies

Question about choosing videocard / laptop (sorry if in the wrong section)

My employee needs a new laptop primarely for inventor and other "heavy" programs.
I was thinking about a video card like

NVIDIA GEFORCE 780GTX SLI ( 2x4GB DDR5)
or
AMD RADEON 8970M CROSSFIRE (2x4GB DDR5)
or
NVIDIA QUADRO SERIES

all above with intelcore i7 4800/4900 and 32gb ram.

Wich 1 is best? and is it waaay better then the others?

or
Macbook pro laptop

Or if you know a good / super laptop please say so to 🙂
We got a €3000 budget.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE REPLYERS!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: xkoeckiiej

A good "Gaming" laptop will run IV well. Good gaming cards such as you have suggested will run IV fine. When I am out of the office I have a Alienware Mx17 with a 660m Nvidia card and it runs IV fine. Go with at least 8Gb of memory and a fast hard-drive system.

No need to go into dual SLI cards as they won't get used by Inventor (not sure about Studio and rendering there) unless you have other applications that make use of them.

I know JD is running a Alienware Mx18 and loves it as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
spackle42
in reply to: blair

As Blair mentioned, go with a gaming laptop.  Inventor uses direct3D for rendering (a bit oddball amongst CAD programs) but it has the advantage that cheaper 'enthusiast' video cards are just as effective as 'professional' series cards like the Quadros.  Alienware or the Asus ROG series would be winners.  More video card memory will help prevent the machine bogging down when dealing with complicated assemblies, so make sure to check this detail.

Max out the memory to extend the useful life of the machine (buying extra memory down the track is a false economy as it always works out WAY more expensive) and then just spec as high as your budget allows.

Also, remember that a 32 bit operating system will only be able to address 4Gb memory so a 64bit OS is a must.

Hope this helps.

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 @ 3.20GHz
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4
Message 4 of 5
xkoeckiiej
in reply to: blair

Thanks for the fast reply!
And i can get the sli for the same price as the 1 only card , so the more the better 😛
Message 5 of 5
xkoeckiiej
in reply to: spackle42

Thanks for the fast reply as well!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report