Inventor General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
sam_m
Message 11 of 18 (476 Views)

Re: Quadro or Gaming card for Inventor?

08-09-2012 08:05 AM in reply to: Bill.Schmid

yup - now Inventor is programmed with DirectX in mind instead of OpenGL a great place to start is with a good gaming pc.  It's all pretty similar (apart from the garish case-designs you seem to get with gaming pcs) - fast gpu, ssd boot drive, quick i5 or i7 cpu, fast ram, a decent motherboard and a good psu to handle it all.

It's a very clever and great move of Autodesk to move from expensive specialized graphics cards to cheaper gaming cards, meaning a far cheaper pc is needed, but it's very rarely touted - whether it's a desire to not annoy the graphics-cards vendors by no longer needing to to push their higher-cost workstation cards or just that professional businesses may not be happy buying a pc with "gaming" in the title...

As for AutoCAD - honestly couldn't say for a like-for-life comparison due to moving from AutoCAD and MDT ages ago, but when I need to use it I've not had any problems (with a gaming card), which isn't a surprise as it's also DirectX now too...  I think some AutoCAD hardware ppl still push the workstation cards, but whether it's a real need or just tradition, not sure - the cynic in me thinks that anyone with any hand in the hardware market will always "suggest" the workstation cards as there must be more profit with them compared to the massive market of gaming cards, with their prices constantly going down trying to undercut each other.

just spotted this post about it from this year: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2012/OpenGL-or-Direct3D/td-p/3294455

----------
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
but please understand that the solution may not be the answer you're wanting to hear...

If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love :smileyvery-happy:

Lithium - helping nntp users with mania, depression and headaches
*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 12 of 18 (472 Views)

08-09-2012 08:19 AM in reply to: hajimeml

What'sthe PSU have to do with it! I have GTX590's in my office machine and my home machine. They require four above-board power connectors to supply power to the card. The GTX590 is basically two GPU's on a single card. It takes more power for the graphics card than the four SSD drives in RAID0.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
Mentor
Bill.Schmid
Message 13 of 18 (468 Views)

08-09-2012 08:48 AM in reply to: sam_m

It's interesting though that Autodesk neither recommends nor certifies any gaming-type cards on their hardware web site: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112

I'm not saying I don't believe they'd work, just noting the information.  You'd think they'd be more in support of it on their recommendations if they're going to bake the support into the software.

Bill Schmid
AutoCAD Mechanical 2011
*Expert Elite*
blair
Message 14 of 18 (459 Views)

08-09-2012 09:00 AM in reply to: Bill.Schmid

Autodesk has quite doing hardware certifications for Inventor. As long as the drivers are Microsoft Certified, is all they are concerned about now.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IV2015 up1 PDSU / Sim Mech 2015 /
Win7-64
EVGA X79 - Classified, iCore7 3930k 32Gb Quad-Channel
950Gb (2 x 500Gb Sata III SSD RAID0 Adaptec 6805E Controller)
Nvidia GTX-690 Classified - 335.23
SpacePilot Pro 3.17.7, 6.17., 4.11
*Expert Elite*
sam_m
Message 15 of 18 (458 Views)

08-09-2012 09:01 AM in reply to: blair

blair wrote:

What'sthe PSU have to do with it!

If the system is built assuming a low-powered gpu (low-mid quadro) then it might only have something like a 350W psu, so slap in a GTX590 which probably really needs a 600W psu and you're going to have problems...

Bill:

read this for info about DirectX:

http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/78/442801/1/autodesk_inventor_opengl_to_dir...

We got a load of info out of Autodesk when they were proposing the change from OpenGL years ago but since then they seem very limited with suggestions for supported cards.

at the end of the day, if the drivers are WHQL certified then they "should" work with Inventor, within the DirectX environment.  Obviously, if you use any other software which is OpenGL (SolidWorks) then there could be a desire for a more OpenGL-friendly gpu...

----------
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
but please understand that the solution may not be the answer you're wanting to hear...

If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love :smileyvery-happy:

Valued Contributor
falkmassmann
Message 16 of 18 (417 Views)

08-10-2012 06:38 AM in reply to: sam_m

What most people do not consider is maintaining the operation of your hardware. What happens if your card breaks and you need to get a replacement fast?

Under normal conditions you have to send your card back to the manufacturer and they try to repair the card and eventually you´ll get it back after 4 weeks.

So you start stacking up video cards for this?

What happens if there is a driver bug which makes working with your application (Inventor in this case) impossible?

With Quadro´s or FIreGL´s the drivers will be fixed after a short time cause they are certified workstation cards and they have to be fixed for these applications.

With Gaming cards it´s the other way around, if there is a bug with a game they will fix it in a short period probably.

Fixing driver issues for gaming cards in use with CAD applications not so much.
If you have a dell or HP workstation they will replace your hardware in like 2 days if something goes wrong.

What suits your business best is your own choice, if you have a lot of time and there are no deadlines a gaming card prolly works fine.

But I wouldn´t recommend it for a company that needs to rely on their workforce to be operable.

All the best

*Expert Elite*
sam_m
Message 17 of 18 (410 Views)

08-10-2012 07:11 AM in reply to: falkmassmann

there's no denying that the after-sales service is probably better with a workstation card than a gaming card - personally have never had a problem serious enough to bother going through the process (or trivial enough to be happy to be without a machine for a couple days)...  If it's a driver issue then roll back - but with DirectX as long as the drivers are WHQL certified then they should work fine - certainly have better reliability with drivers now we're on DirectX than I did with OpenGL (on both workstation and gaming cards).  If the issue is hardware-related and the graphics card needs to be replaced then we generally don't have the time to leave a pc non-productive for 2 days (1 day of problems and the 2nd day to receive a replacement) - we can obtain a replacement card from a local pc component vendor then it's fixed within the same day...

There's been recent "gaming v workstation" topics on here (which also became Nvidia v ATI) that show gaming cards are quicker than workstation within Inventor.  So, it could be argued that they're more productive and make better sense for ROI calculations.  If you're concerned about warranty replacement times then factor in the cost of a 2nd gaming card after say a year and I'm sure it'll still work out cheaper than the expensive workstation cards.

But, I'm also happy to question statements that workstation cards are more reliable than gaming cards - how on earth do hardware vendors justify that?  The number of youngsters playing games or leaving their pcs downloading whatever 24/7 - how many of these machines that are never switched off are running gaming cards?  If companies like EVGA are offering 3 year warranties on gaming cards, knowing they're possibly going to be overclocked and left running for very long periods - how are these gaming cards a reliability concern?

sure, at the end of the day, everything will die at some point in time, so it's arguable that the most productive card is desirable for most businesses :smileywink:

----------

Distinguished Contributor
richiesuk
Message 18 of 18 (317 Views)

10-18-2012 03:38 AM in reply to: sam_m

I use a quadro 2000 card wih xeon 3.4 GHz, and checked the GPU usage with GPU-Z and it never went abouve 20...

when I rotating huge assy, or panning idw..strange...

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube