Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Punch Tool Failure

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jneal
1310 Views, 5 Replies

Punch Tool Failure

Hi guys - I need a little hlep with a punch tool I'm trying to create. I have read other post by JDMather and some others and tried to follow the suggestions they had. I still can't get this thing to work for some reason..

Here's my procedure:

Hit Extract iFeature

Select Sheet Metal Punch iFeature radio button

Select my feature

I then get the error "The sketch does not qualifyas a punch placement sketch...."

Select another sketch which contains my center point

Then the Save button at the bottom is greyed out...

Not sure what I am doing wrong. 

Suggestions? File is attached-  its 2014. If you need me to re-create it in 2013 I can...

Thanks

Jess

Application Engineer
All CAD Northwest
Meridian ID
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: jneal

You have a bunch of projected geometry in Sketches 7 & 8.  The parents of these projections will not be avialable in the punch - turn off autoproject and delete the autoproject of the origin (see this http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf)  I never have autoproject on sketch create turned on. (do leave autoproject of origin on - but you will have to delete the projected point for punch tools)

You have Workplane2 dependent on parent feature XZ Plane.

Don't create dependencies like this.

All dependecies (except for sketch face) should be in the punch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
jneal

Thanks for the reply JD. I deleted all projected geometry and origins. How do I go about getting the center of my circular cut projected into the punch sketch without using "Project Geometry"? Can I project a work axis? Sorry if these seem like rudementary questions. Just havent had that much exposure to the punch feature...

Thanks again-

Jess

Application Engineer
All CAD Northwest
Meridian ID
Message 4 of 6
jneal
in reply to: JDMather

JD-

Here's another couple files for you to look at. I took a different approach on this one. Let me know what needs improvement/changed from a best practice standpoint. I still can't get the other "revolved" punch to work right...

I appreciate your help-

Jess

Application Engineer
All CAD Northwest
Meridian ID
Message 5 of 6
JDMather

@jneal wrote:

... I deleted all projected geometry .... How do I go about getting the center of my circular cut projected into the punch sketch without using "Project Geometry"?

I don't have time to look at your new file right now, but you don't need to delete all projected geometry - just that which is not part of the punch feature.

You can (and in fact, need to) project the edge of the hole because the hole is the projected geometry's parent and part of the punch. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
jneal
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JD - I went back and started from scratch and was able to get the revolved version to work. I only projected geometry into the punch sketch and it worked great. 

Thanks again-

Jess

Application Engineer
All CAD Northwest
Meridian ID

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report