Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publishing to Content Center

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
tommy.bus
824 Views, 23 Replies

Publishing to Content Center

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to publish an assembly to the content center?

Dell Precision T3500
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3530 @2.8GHz
ATI FIrePRo V5800 (FireGL V)
12 GB Ram
64 BIt OS
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Cadmanto
in reply to: tommy.bus

Content center is only for parts only.  Not assemblies.

Why do you ask and what are you trying to do?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 24
tommy.bus
in reply to: Cadmanto

Okay.  How does one go about using sub assemblies in new designs?  It seems like a hassle to have to copy an assembly to a new project folder just to use it in a new design...and then have to update it manually if the original instance changes.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Dell Precision T3500
12 GB Ram
64 BIt OS
Message 4 of 24
Cadmanto

By any chance, are you using Vault?  Either way what we do with our standard assemblies is save them to a folder (within Vault) that has permissions on them that only admins can have access to them if they need to be updated or changed.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 5 of 24
tommy.bus
in reply to: Cadmanto

I'm not using Vault.  Here's what I'm trying to do:

I'm in the process of designing one of our trailer systems.  I started an assembly of just the trailer deck and tongue.  (It has some I-beams, sq. tube, etc..)  This design isn't finished. I'm using it as my platform to do a preliminary layout for the main system (enclosure placement, generator placement, etc...)  Once the initial layout is completed and approved, I plan on finishing the trailer design so my guys can start building it.  Sort of like XREF's in Autocad.  (I know, this isn't autocad...)  Based on other things I've read it seems like I need to do my trailer design as a large multibody part and publish it to the content center.  Then if I update it, it will propagate.  Am I on the right track?

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Dell Precision T3500
12 GB Ram
64 BIt OS
Message 6 of 24
Cadmanto

It has been a while since I have used Autocad extensively.  I remember the term XREF, but forget what it does exactly.

Anyway, what you are looking to do is not too much different then what we are doing.  While we are using vault, you can still setup a directory structure that is secure with permissions within Windows Explorer.

We have sub assemblies that we have in these exclusive folders that we insert into our main assemblies as benchmarks to get started.  If we need to change them up then we do a copy save as under a different file name.

You could also set these files up as templates as well.  Meaning that you start your assembly with these files.  Much like you create a new drawing using one of your format template files.

Are you using frame generator by any chance?  If so that may complicate this a bit.  Another thought is are these factory files?

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 24
cwhetten

You should look up how to set up a library.  It sounds like you are describing a part (or assembly, actually) that belongs in a library.  This assembly could be used in multiple designs, and even multiple projects if you set them up to use a common library.  The Content Center is just one type of specialized library.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Message 8 of 24
tommy.bus
in reply to: cwhetten

Cadmanto, XREF's are Autocad files that are inserted into other Autocad files.  When they are changed, every location the file is referenced receives the update.  

cwhetten, So if I use an assembly from a library, and the assembly changes, will it update everywhere it's been used?  

I'm looking into Libraries now...

Dell Precision T3500
12 GB Ram
64 BIt OS
Message 9 of 24
cwhetten

@tommy.bus wrote:

cwhetten, So if I use an assembly from a library, and the assembly changes, will it update everywhere it's been used?  

I'm looking into Libraries now...

Yes, that's correct.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Message 10 of 24
Cadmanto

What you described XREF is to Autocad sounds like what Derived Parts are to Inventor.

That might be an option as well.

What Cameron suggested might be a good option for you.  I know when it was suggested here, we looked at it and found that it was a pain to control and organize.  This was when our VAR was helping us setup a few things.  They said based on what we had, the way I described to you was the best option.  Of course this is with Vault in place.

You just might want to look into Vault to handle and control all of these assembly and part files.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 24
rdyson

If you reuse any ipt or iam and then make changes, those change will propagate to every assembly where they are used, regardless if they are in a library or not.

Libraries are setup to limit their ease of modification.

PDSU 2016
Message 12 of 24
tommy.bus
in reply to: rdyson

rdyson,

So what you're saying is, if I'm in my master assembly (for the complete system) I can use the place command and just navigate to whereever the sub assembly is that I want to use (accepting the inventor prompt that the location is outside of my project).  Then whenever that assembly is modified, It will update in my current project?

Dell Precision T3500
12 GB Ram
64 BIt OS
Message 13 of 24
rdyson

Yes, the down side is that IV may not be able to find files outside of your project. That's the main reason for projects so IV knows where to look.

PDSU 2016
Message 14 of 24
cwhetten

I would hesitate to add components from outside the project scope.  That's just asking for trouble down the road.

This is where libraries come in.  You can set your project to look to that outside folder as a 'library folder', then it will work without giving you messages or file-resolution dialogs.

You could also set other projects to use the same library location.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Message 15 of 24
tommy.bus

rdyson, I was just playing around with it and the way you mentioned worked like I need I too.

Here's another related question.  I have a location on our server where all of my design files and projects reside.  The main folder contains three sub folders for Mechanical, Electrical and General Arrangement drawings.  Within each of those is the individual projects with all related files. When I try to add that path to my project library, Inventor asks me this (see attached jpeg). 

Is this a bad way to go?

Dell Precision T3500
12 GB Ram
64 BIt OS
Message 16 of 24
swalton

I use a single project file for all of my designs.  I put the different designs in subfolders under the main project folder. 

This works out well because all of my inventor designs are for the same client.

This might not work for you if you have different style libraries or template files you need to use for each project. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 17 of 24
tommy.bus
in reply to: swalton

I obviously need to read up on setting up projects and libraries etc...

Dell Precision T3500
12 GB Ram
64 BIt OS
Message 18 of 24
rdyson

I use 2 project files. One has a workspace of D:\ the other has a workspace of Acad 360.

PDSU 2016
Message 19 of 24
tommy.bus

So I have a path to my Mechanical Library folder and I inserted my sub assembly into my main assembly file.  The issue it seems now, is that I can't right click my (library) sub assembly, open or edit without getting this message:

Inventor error message.JPG

I have to close down my current project and switch to the sub assembly project to edit.  Then close down, switch back to my master assmembly and re-open.  This isn't a viable option for me.  

Dell Precision T3500
12 GB Ram
64 BIt OS
Message 20 of 24
rdyson

From my previous message
"Libraries are setup to limit their ease of modification."

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report