Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prompt for parameter entry on open

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
drguitarum2005
1847 Views, 5 Replies

Prompt for parameter entry on open

I am going to be saving a template with one of my custom frame profiles from the content center already placed in it. I'll place it say 100" long, just an arbitrary number. How can I create a dialogue that pops up when I open the template file, it asks me for the value of 3 variables, then changes the length of my content center frame rail to the sum of those 3 variables? I've seen pop-ups before and know how to set the rule, I'm just not sure how to change the parameters...

thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mrattray
in reply to: drguitarum2005

If you're using Inventor 2012 or later than you can simply use an iLogic Form. You can use the form designer to insert your parameters. You then need to write a very short, simple iLogic rule to launch your form. It will be a one liner, you can get the code from the side bar snippets under "form". You will then put this one line rule under your triggers for the file under than "Run on Open" trigger.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 6
drguitarum2005
in reply to: mrattray

Thank you sir, I'll fiddle around with that soon and see what I can come up with.

In the mean time, how does one change the length of multiple content center parts in an assembly by changing parameters? I'm trying to avoid going into each part and modifying the extrusion length.

Message 4 of 6
mrattray

I'm not familiar with working with content center parts (I don't like them myself), but if it was a normal part I would recommend writting a simple iLogic rule. Something like:

Parameter("Part:1", "length") = width*2

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 6
drguitarum2005
in reply to: mrattray

Thanks sir, I've done it so far with putting iParts in the content center. That way I place one of my custom profile frame rails, it makes a copy (since I do it as custom) and prompts me for a few parameters that I put into the iPart.

Now an annoying question is...how do I update parts in Content Center? Every time I make a change to my iPart, I have to delete my content center family and re-publish it. Any way to update it? Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
pcrawley

Sounds like you want a set of profiles that you can edit - and they'll update all the models you ever put them in.  Correct so far?

If I'm right, then neither Content Center or iParts or iLogic would be my first choice (unless you get clever with iLogic).  Publishing to Content Center is a one-way trip - editing the original iPart requires a re-publish as you've already found. iParts are OK, but depending on the shapes, your tables can become ridiculously long. The other problem is that placed iPart children have to live in the same folder as eachother making file management "enforced" rather than a location of your choosing.

I would draw your sections as Sketch Blocks that all live in a master part file.  Every time you want to make a part file from one of the sections, create a new part - derive in the appropriate block from the master part - and extrude the appropriate distance.  This way you can just go the the master part, edit the block, and all parts created from that block will update.  It might feel like a longer process, but it give you total flexibility.

Each method has it's merits depending on the result you are looking for.

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report