Inventor General Discussion

Inventor General Discussion

Mentor
gerhick
Message 61 of 80 (791 Views)

Re: Project file reverting to Default???

03-02-2011 12:30 PM in reply to: swalton

From what I understand, Inventor should write to all the registry entries upon closing. So anything that changes while you have the program open will be rectified when you close Inventor. Simimilarly, if something changes, and Inventor crashes (not that it ever will... Right?) your registry settings WON'T be restored, and when you start Inventor next time, it'll may have settings botched, like this project file...

If I'm right, you can check your registry from time to time by clicking Start > Run and entering 'Regedit' and pressing 'OK'. Once in registry editor, navigate to these keys and check the values.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion15.0\System\Preferences\External References\Path File
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion15.0\System\Preferences\FileDialog\LastProjectFile

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-302069814-1549080342-620655208-23595\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion15.0\System\Preferences\External References\Path File
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-302069814-1549080342-620655208-23595\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion15.0\System\Preferences\FileDialog\LastProjectFile

The bits I've crossed out will almost certainly vary on your PCs, so you might have to search for them.

Hope this helps.

PointZero Design and Drafting
Valued Contributor
kprom
Message 62 of 80 (773 Views)

03-02-2011 01:54 PM in reply to: gerhick

Not sure what your getting at, but all mine list the correct Vault project.  Still had the problem this morning.

Mentor
gerhick
Message 63 of 80 (765 Views)

03-02-2011 02:28 PM in reply to: kprom

Did you check the registry after finding that the project file had reset to default? I'd be suprised if the registry was correct, but Inventor was wrong.

Cheers

Valued Contributor
kprom
Message 64 of 80 (758 Views)

03-02-2011 02:39 PM in reply to: gerhick

Why even check this?  Doesn't sound like a fix at all.

Distinguished Contributor
mbodnar
Message 65 of 80 (756 Views)

03-02-2011 02:42 PM in reply to: gerhick

The attached screen shot shows the option that appears to work most of the times, even after a reboot

The only drawback is that when inventor starts, it will start the new from template and create a new file

The other 2 options dont seem to force setting the ipj file

I have also notice Inventor changing the ipj file to some C:\Tem\.......... which I think is the ipj file that Vault commands like copy design create and use

Mentor
gerhick
Message 66 of 80 (742 Views)

03-02-2011 03:06 PM in reply to: mbodnar

kprom: It's not a solution, it's part of the troublshooting. You don't have to check anything, it's just a suggestion.

mbodnar: I thought the same thing regarding copy design etc, because afaik, Copy design uses something like the apprentice server to carry out the changes which I'm assuming uses a project file just the same as Inventor. However a number of users here reported the problems without ever doing a copy design.

mbodnar
Message 67 of 80 (740 Views)

03-02-2011 03:12 PM in reply to: gerhick

gerhick

I think the apprentice sets this temp ipj file not only when and after using copy design, but also after rename, move, etc

Are you able to share the script you mentioned in your earlier post that might help with forcing the setting of the ipj file thru the registries I assume?

Cheers

Max B

Mentor
gerhick
Message 68 of 80 (738 Views)

03-02-2011 03:41 PM in reply to: mbodnar

mbodnar - I've attached the script file, but be warned, don't use it if you don't understand it. Save it somewhere save, then right click and select 'edit'. you'll need to add your project file name and path to the top where indicated. Given that we're messing with the registry, the script saves a backup .reg file to your c:\temp location before making changes incase things go bad. I'll be honest, it's quite a crude way of doing it, I'll review it when I can find the time, but I used a slightly more complicated one to set the VBA project as well and do a few other things so it SHOULD work.

The basic steps it runs through are:

Kill Inventor

Backup Registry Keys

Edit Registry

Run Inventor

As with all free stuff, I don't accept any responsibility use at your own risk.

Hope you find it useful, If you have any feedback please let me know.

mbodnar
Message 69 of 80 (730 Views)

03-02-2011 03:46 PM in reply to: gerhick

gerhick, I understand completely, thanks for sharing the script

Cheers

Max B

talberta
Message 70 of 80 (549 Views)

08-05-2011 08:55 AM in reply to: mbodnar

Has Autodesk found a solution to this yet?

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.