Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Design Suite 2015

209 REPLIES 209
Message 1 of 210
jdits7
9884 Views, 209 Replies

Product Design Suite 2015

Here are some of the details about Product Design Suite 2015.

http://inventortopix.blogspot.com/2014/03/product-design-suite-2015.html

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
209 REPLIES 209
Message 141 of 210
kstate92
in reply to: kwilson_design

Maybe my baseless conjecture about the melding of Inventor and AutoCAD together (DWG being the default format in Inventor 2015), is completely backwards.  Given that they've moved most of these programs from the Inventor suites to the new "AutoCAD Design" suites, perhaps the intent is to remove AutoCAD (and ancillary products) from the Inventor suites altogether and concentrate on more specific addons such as CAM and FEA for Mechanical, Piping and Fluid Mechanics for Industrial, something else for Plant / Factory (which I've never understood; is there that much usage of Inventor in that industry?).  Maybe their data doesn't show that much usage of AutoCAD by Inventor subscribers (pretty sure that would be wrong, though).

Even though baseball has started, welcome to the Inventor Hot Stove forum!  What will they do for the next season?

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 142 of 210
kwilson_design
in reply to: kstate92

Wait....did you say that DWG is the default drawing file for 2015? Dear lord please tell me that there is still IDW! If not, then I'm probably just going to leave the office early today and go find the nearest pub.

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 143 of 210
LT.Rusty

@kwilson_design wrote:

Wait....did you say that DWG is the default drawing file for 2015? Dear god please tell me that there is still IDW. If not, then I'm probably just going to leave the office early today and go find the nearest pub.

The kittens are safe.*

You just have to go to application options and change the default format.

(A trip to the pub might still be in order, though.)

*Good ninja edit before I could reply. 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 144 of 210
kwilson_design
in reply to: LT.Rusty

haha I edited my post just in case someone might think I was serious about the kittens.

But that's good to know. I know they've (ADSK) been trying to slowly but surely get us off IDW's over the years but I was getting cold spells just thinking of Inventor with no other option but DWG. Ugh. It was a nightmare for us when we tried to have both DWG's playing nicely. We ended that journey soon (about 6 months worth) after seeing how nasty it can get. So we have the scars to show it and we prefer IDW for Inventor and DWG naturally for crusty ancient AutoCAD.

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 145 of 210
jannaspicer

@kstate92 wrote:

Maybe my baseless conjecture about the melding of Inventor and AutoCAD together (DWG being the default format in Inventor 2015), is completely backwards.  Given that they've moved most of these programs from the Inventor suites to the new "AutoCAD Design" suites, perhaps the intent is to remove AutoCAD (and ancillary products) from the Inventor suites altogether and concentrate on more specific addons such as CAM and FEA for Mechanical, Piping and Fluid Mechanics for Industrial, something else for Plant / Factory (which I've never understood; is there that much usage of Inventor in that industry?).  Maybe their data doesn't show that much usage of AutoCAD by Inventor subscribers (pretty sure that would be wrong, though).

Hi kstate92,

Definitely hear your points here.  Just to help alleviate any real/perceived concerns for you and others on the forum, we have no plans to remove AutoCAD from Product Design Suite.  We polled our users last year to find out their perception and use of IDW vs DWG, and we heard loud and clear that our users are dependent on both.  No plans to remove support for either format.

-Janna

Message 146 of 210
jannaspicer
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:

@jannaspicer wrote:

@cbliss wrote:

Rumor has it that Showcase will be back in.  Check with your reseller or watch for more information later.  I think the point is that Autodesk does listen.

Hey guys, going back to the Showcase question for this thread, I want to let you know we have been listening to you.  

I’m happy to report that Autodesk is planning to offer our Product Design Suite subscription customers access (at no additional charge) to download and use Showcase 2015.  

We don't have all the details yet, but we wanted to let you know right away.

Please keep your feedback coming.  Your voice matters.

Thanks,

Janna

Great news!

Now let's talk about Sketchbook and Alias, and (maybe) Mudbox ...

Hi LT.Rusty, 

Okay, let's! 🙂

I'm happy to tell you that, just like Showcase, we'll be providing a way for current Product Design Suite Ultimate* subscription customers to get access to Alias 2015.

As I wrote earlier, we're still working on the details, but I will let the forum know once we've got firm plans.

-Janna

<*edited to add the word "Ultimate," since I accidentally missed that clarification in this reply>

Message 147 of 210
LT.Rusty
in reply to: jannaspicer

Okay, outstanding ... Alias.  Aaaaaaaand theeeeennnnnnn?

Rusty

EESignature

Message 148 of 210
mark.young

Well I just want to add that we were very surprised & disappointed to see so much suddenly removed from PDS. We spent a long time (and a lot of money) getting some really good workflow training last year, which showed us how nearly every program could be used efficiently together.

I know everyone here has different needs and favourites but for Product Design, with Product Design Suite (and as a Product Designer)...it's all useful! Sketchbook for quick concept drawings, mudbox for quick form ideas, showcase especially for quick rendering. I assumed they would be bringing the programs closer together, as they can all compliment each other.....instead they take half of 'em away and don't give you a refund. It's bad enough as it is but at least we didn't go for the 'slightly discounted' 3 year subscription.

Message 149 of 210
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: mark.young

On the surface it would seem that Autodesk did not take into consideration those of us who purchased a 3 year subscription. I mean who in their right mind buys a 3 year subscription knowing that some of the software will be removed and the price will go down within that 3 year time frame?

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 150 of 210
sholmes
in reply to: jdits7

I've read people saying that the maintenance (or subscription or whatever they call it) costs have been reduced, does anybody have the new costs in US $? My apologies if I missed a link somewhere.

Message 151 of 210
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: sholmes

http://www.autodesk.com/suites/product-design-suite/buy

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 152 of 210
Jonka45

I had this conversation with our re-seller and the subs have not reduced only the cost of the software! At least thats what they told me 😉 You can get renual with advanced support or basic support (in the UK anyway). 

Inventor 2022 Proffesional
Alienware Aurora R8
Windows 10 pro
Inside Leg 35 inch
Message 153 of 210
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: jeanchile

i would take the classic anyday and have gone on record but that is my personal preference. to me it is far superior. dont argue about it, people are individuals and unique, so lets have both, it would only take a uni graduate 2 months to write the code back in. i am sure autodesk can afford that.

if the ribbon was setup better and allowed for true customisation (like we had with the classic) it wouldn't be so bad.

i wont mention it again, just want autodesk to take note. just saying...

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 154 of 210
jannaspicer

@SHOLMES wrote:

I've read people saying that the maintenance (or subscription or whatever they call it) costs have been reduced, does anybody have the new costs in US $? My apologies if I missed a link somewhere.

Hi sholmes,

2015 pricing will be posted soon (next week, I believe) on this page: http://www.autodesk.com/suites/product-design-suite/buy 

Thanks,

Janna

Message 155 of 210
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: jannaspicer

in Australia in the last few weeks we have seen people on PDSU sub renewals pay around $1800 AU + tax instead of $2300 AU + tax (approx) now that they have the opportunity to choose basic support

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 156 of 210
scottmoyse
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Showcase 2015 is up on the Subs Site now if anyone wants a crack at it. I've downloaded it already, so happy for you lot to kill the bandwidth now 😉 Assuming you haven't already got it that is.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 157 of 210
JamesLovell
in reply to: scottmoyse

Not with me its not (UK)

Regards,

James Lovell
Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz,QUADRO RTX 4000, 1TB CORSAIR MP600 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe
Product Design & Manufacturing Collection
Message 158 of 210
kwilson_design
in reply to: scottmoyse

@scottmoyse wrote:

Showcase 2015 is up on the Subs Site now if anyone wants a crack at it. I've downloaded it already, so happy for you lot to kill the bandwidth now 😉 Assuming you haven't already got it that is.

Hmmm I'm not seeing it for just yet (I'm in US)
Regards,
Kenny
Message 159 of 210
mrattray

I don't have it yet, either.
@scottmoyse Do you use PDS or a stand alone Inventor? I suspect that us PDS users wont see Showcase up until after PDS is up.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 160 of 210
dalibu
in reply to: jdits7

Nice to know Alias and Showcase can be downloaded with a PDSU; but I will sorely miss Sketchbook Designer. With its vector drawing tools it is vastly superior to Sketchbook Pro.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report