Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Design Suite 2015

209 REPLIES 209
Message 1 of 210
jdits7
9949 Views, 209 Replies

Product Design Suite 2015

Here are some of the details about Product Design Suite 2015.

http://inventortopix.blogspot.com/2014/03/product-design-suite-2015.html

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
209 REPLIES 209
Message 121 of 210
jletcher
in reply to: jletcher

One more question what size monitor do you use?

Small 21 or large 36?

Most of my clients are on 36" to 42" monitors this also makes a BIG difference...

Classic can be next to your work but an undocked ribbon not so much you can but you lose lots of work area...

Message 122 of 210
mrattray

I'm not sure I follow your logic. Both interfaces are customizable, so this doesn't make one better than the other. My point was simply that I adapted to the change by putting the buttons where I wanted them. This is what I suggest you do. Adapt.
The only thing about the ribbon that I actually like better is the marking menu, that's what makes me faster than I was with the classic.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 123 of 210
mrattray

I use two 24's.
42" monitors?! That's a big screen TV, not a monitor!
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 124 of 210
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

Marking menu I can see you being faster. Nice option just don't need it for me anyway..

What is funny is Classic was on 2 taps and easy to make into one tab and by everyone saying customize the ribbon well why if you have classic you would not have too....

And if you do then you really don't like the Ribbon..

What makes it better it is the way you want it out of the box.......

But don't worry 2015 is worst.... (my opinion)..

Message 125 of 210
jletcher

But they are nice.....

I have 2- 42" and 2- 21" ...

Message 126 of 210
mrattray

I wouldn't even want 42" monitors, I'd have to sit on the other side of the room to avoid eye strain. I could only see them being any good for doing demos, teaching, and the like. I wouldn't want one for regular work.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 127 of 210
LT.Rusty

@mrattray wrote:
I wouldn't even want 42" monitors, I'd have to sit on the other side of the room to avoid eye strain. I could only see them being any good for doing demos, teaching, and the like. I wouldn't want one for regular work.

I think it would all depend on resolution.  When I use my 720p 50" DLP TV for a monitor, I have to be back like 6 feet away from it to keep the eye strain down.  If that was something bigger - say, for instance, 9900 x 5400 (5x1080p dimensions) I'm sure I'd be able to handle it a lot closer.  As it is, my eyes are going very bad, very quickly: right now I've got a pair of 22" 1080p monitors on my desk as I type this, and sitting at a normal distance from the screen I'm very grateful that I know how to touch-type, because I can't even read the text clearly enough to visually tell if I've made a mistake. 

(That's my only real gripe about changes to the ribbon ... as things move around, and I can't really see the icons clearly, it disrupts my memory of what button goes where and therefore what to click on.  My issue, not Autodesk's, so I'm not really complaining.)

Rusty

EESignature

Message 128 of 210
GSE_Dan_A

Why couldn't AD just make their packages Client Customizeable?!  Like ordering a Pizza (mmmm pizza)...
Your pizza comes with the basic components... Crust, Sauce and Cheese + 2 Toppings. (Additional Toppings extra charge)
Your Inventor Package comes with Inventor (with all the bells and whistles), ACAD and two programs of your choice.  Then from their you have the option of selecting additional Programs that YOUR company requires paying the additional fees.  Seems to be common sense to this delemna, but then again common sense isn't so common now daysSmiley Sad

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 129 of 210
mrattray
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:

@mrattray wrote:

I think it would all depend on resolution.  When I use my 720p 50" DLP TV for a monitor, I have to be back like 6 feet away from it to keep the eye strain down.  If that was something bigger - say, for instance, 9900 x 5400 (5x1080p dimensions) I'm sure I'd be able to handle it a lot closer.

I agree, but since I doubt he's running 9900x5400...  I'm not aware of any commercailly available monitors with resolutions higher than 1620P.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 130 of 210
jletcher
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

This is what they are working too..

But as you can see no one is happy about that..

The goal for Autodesk is to have cloud based software (Basic) only and you can buy or rent options, Showcase, mudbox, 3d max, mold, and so on..

Message 131 of 210
cwhetten

Ugh...  This thread is seriously derailing.

There are some legitimate and serious concerns here about products removed from suites that were pre-paid for, but these concerns are being buried under a deluge of posts about this stale (rancid, maybe?) ribbon / classic debate.

Y'all been trolled, and many of you should know better than to feed him.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 132 of 210
jletcher
in reply to: cwhetten

num num num feed me...........

Was not hijacked was blended..

Message 133 of 210
jletcher
in reply to: cwhetten

And by the way I paid for classic I did not ask for the interface to be changed...

And the way it sounds everyone would be better off with Classic notice how they all customize the ribbon they move everything to one tab that sounds a lot like classic to me.

So why not just put the option in and make it so they can still use the marking menu because that is the only thing they need the ribbon for.

And I can see the marking menu helping I don't use it but I can see why they like it.

And no derail they are complaining of things taken from them and so am I.
Message 134 of 210
jannaspicer
in reply to: cbliss

@cbliss wrote:

Rumor has it that Showcase will be back in.  Check with your reseller or watch for more information later.  I think the point is that Autodesk does listen.

Hey guys, going back to the Showcase question for this thread, I want to let you know we have been listening to you.  

I’m happy to report that Autodesk is planning to offer our Product Design Suite subscription customers access (at no additional charge) to download and use Showcase 2015.  

We don't have all the details yet, but we wanted to let you know right away.

Please keep your feedback coming.  Your voice matters.

Thanks,

Janna

Tags (1)
Message 135 of 210
LT.Rusty
in reply to: jannaspicer

@jannaspicer wrote:

@cbliss wrote:

Rumor has it that Showcase will be back in.  Check with your reseller or watch for more information later.  I think the point is that Autodesk does listen.

Hey guys, going back to the Showcase question for this thread, I want to let you know we have been listening to you.  

I’m happy to report that Autodesk is planning to offer our Product Design Suite subscription customers access (at no additional charge) to download and use Showcase 2015.  

Thanks,

Janna

Great news!

Now let's talk about Sketchbook and Alias, and (maybe) Mudbox ...

Rusty

EESignature

Message 136 of 210
scottmoyse

@jannaspicer wrote:

Thanks,

Janna

Good on you for persevering on this thread Janna. (oooh I just noticed the spell checker toggle in the post editor, nice). Will you guys add a patch to the suite workflows to get all the Inventor<>Showcase associative goodness back?

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 137 of 210
JavaLodge

@Anonymous wrote:
And the way it sounds everyone would be better off with Classic notice how they all customize the ribbon they move everything to one tab that sounds a lot like classic to me.

So why not just put the option in and make it so they can still use the marking menu because that is the only thing they need the ribbon for.

If you can customize the ribbon so that it looks like classic, then why don't you just do that?  I'm not trying to be smart, it just sounds like a win-win to me.

Great news Janna, thanks for listening to most of the thread.... The classic has gone suck it up and move on. It ribbon for the kids not the old guys. Old guys can learn or not learn choice is yours. Kids have ribbons everywhere I am no kid but multi gestures and marking menu is the norm. Sorry to be blunt but this thread is about the loss of software not ribbons and bows 😉
Inventor 2022 Proffesional
Alienware Aurora R8
Windows 10 pro
Inside Leg 35 inch
Message 139 of 210
Rory_M

@jannaspicer wrote:

Thanks,

Janna

Excellent news, thanks to Autodesk for listening and thanks to Janna for keeping us informed.

Rory

Message 140 of 210
kwilson_design
in reply to: Rory_M

I along with many others am pretty pissed off at this decision by Autodesk. I don't use Showcase that much these days as I've replaced it with other rendering software solutions but I do use Mudbox, Alias and Sketchbook Designer A LOT! We also have other users who relied on Showcase since it was easy for them to pick up and use to make images for sales and marketing teams. How in the heck am I supposed to make ccomplex surfaces like I could in Alias when Inventor doesn't even have a basic surfacing package? My workflows will be crippled by this new Suite. And now they drop all 4 programs like a bad habit? Come on Autodesk what are you doing to your loyal Subscription base? Tisk tisk tisk

This is the kind of stuff that leaves a bad taste in my mouth towards Autodesk and why I stopped going to AU and quit defending them as much as I used to. Each year it seems it gets worse and worse. A shame really when they say they listen to us....but I'm curious just who is "us" they're referring to because I sure as heck haven't seen any threads on here calling for products to be REMOVED from Suites. Have you? And now they want "us" to pay even more subscription fees for software I previously had INCLUDED in a Suite? Get real Autodesk! I already pay them tens of thousands each year for sub dues and the nickel and diming going on is getting out of hand.

If we weren't so in-bed with Autodesk and our data sets right now I would of been looking for other options. Unfortunately we're caught by the nads with little to no wiggle room out unless we want to recreate our models from scratch with some other app. So obviously that's not going to happen. Ugh this just makes me sick. So much for going to 2015. As the CAD mananger I'm not going to update us until I see a reason to and the fact next release = LESS then that's all I needed to know. Congrats Autodesk you've got a winner....(sarcasm). God help me if they decide to drop 3DS Max Design from the Suite as I will be livid like no other Smiley Mad. I contacted our reseller and expressed my displeasure with this decision and told them to relate it to Autodesk.

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report