Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with pipe runs staying connected

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
368 Views, 3 Replies

Problem with pipe runs staying connected

I am creating piping systems with various flanged pipe spools, valves, pumps, strainers etc using the tube and pipe generator in AIP2010.  Currently, I am creating a new pipe run for each pipe spool and component because it makes it easy to put each pipe spool in a dwg file for shop drawings.  The problem is that when I am not in the tube and pipe environment, I can move each pipe run as if it were not constrained.  Most of the time the pipe run will go back, but occasionally it will not go back and will take some of the connecting pipe runs with it.  It seems to do this when I constrain two fitting within a pipe run using the constrain tool.  I like to do this because I might want the centerline of two 90's a specific distance apart, or I might want the face of two flanges a specific face to face dimension.  Obviously I could just subtract the dimension of the flanges from the length I want, but that is somewhat cumbersome.  I was just wondering if there was a better way of doing this. 

See below images.  I wanted the centerlines of the 90's to be a specific distance, so I constrained the 90 withing the tube and pipe environment.  When I complete pipe run, and click on the spool piece with the two 90's and move it, it moves the flange and ball valve.  Is there a better way to do this?  Tube and pipe in Inventor is almost a great tool, but I'm finding it isn't that user friendly.pipe runs.jpgAssembly1.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

First of all you have to truly understand the structure behind routed system.   Meaning a given pipe run is a separate assembly that has no true assembly constraints to the overall model.  So like you said you can move it outside of the tube&pipe run environment.  In most cases because of how the piping spool was routed it will snap back into place.    But yes there is sometimes moving it can cause problems.

However I am little unclear about what you mean regarding the centerlines of 90's being a specific distance away?   Are you placing the 90's, constraining them and then routing in between them?   Please let me know and I can assist you regarding this matter

Regards

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

I connected one 90 directly to the flange, and the other I place and constrained it where I wanted it to be (lets say 20" between the centers of the two 90's).  I then routed between them.  Is there a better way to achieve the same result?

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Yes there is a much easier way of doing it.   You are not fully using the module as it was intended for.

However there is too much typing to describe what you need to do.  So I would like to offer you our internal training manual (5mb file) for routed system.   This manual is based on what I have learned and how routed system works.   It also includes some tips & tricks and covers some undocumented items about routed system.

The training manual has been stripped of our Company information and looks.  So the overall look is lacking but contains a lot of good information that our CAD users use on a daily basis.   In addition when it comes to the naming of pipe runs/routes and etc there is a section that does it automatically.   Please disregard that section since we wrote and enhancement to do that for us.

If you would like a copy of this training manual please contact me at itMarkunderscoreLancasteratPalldotcom.

Regards

M. Lancaster

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report