Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem lofting

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
360 Views, 2 Replies

Problem lofting

Hi,

I'm trying to loft what I think must be a very easy loft shape and getting 'could not build this loft - non-manifold solid'. Essentially I want to take two (unequal) 'sausage shapes' at right angles and loft them into a bowed disk (or maybe corpuscle) shape. Attached are the sausage shapes - two parallel arcs with half-ellipses on the end - see Capture1.jpg. Capture2.jpg is the loft problem. The non-manifold confusion seems to be around the central axis. Any ideas? Excuse the rest of the crud on the capture.

TIA,

Alan

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
sam_m
in reply to: Anonymous

try lofting around the perimeter with 3 (would be 4 but same one for start and end, with "closed loop" selected) sketches at 90degrees - so it's like a rotation around a central axis.

or split it into a few operations:

1) create a disk for the top region

2) create a dish for the bottom region

3) loft with tangents from the edges of both middle-patches.

By selecting two sketches which intersect (as capture2) i think it results in a self-intersection and a mess of confusion for the software - basically it wants all parts of the loft to continue on a path without crossing itself.  What you've got is the right side rotates 1 way around 90 degrees but the other side of the same sketch rotates the opposite direction and thus, i think it gets confused as the loft surface twists and intersects on the centreline.  It might work better with 2014 as that supports self-intersections (i think), but no guarantee.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: sam_m

OK understand - will give the first a try.

Many Thanks, Alan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report