Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print user name

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
mgeurts
881 Views, 25 Replies

Print user name

Hello,

Does any one know how to get the username on an idw?

To be more specific, the user name from the pc which is printing.

Mark

Inventor 2010

PSP-Easy 2010

WIN7

Inventor Professional 2021
3DS Max 2022
Win 10
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
mdavis22569
in reply to: mgeurts

Is it the same as the person who created it? I don't know of any printer properties, however you can make a custom on and have that show up ... There are add-ins possible too http://www.c3mcad.com/ProductPages/Drawing/ProductPlotStampPlus.aspx However if it's Inventor 2010 more than likely you'll need to do a custom property one

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 26
Cadmanto

Mark,

Is the username of the PC different then the one you will see under applications options>general tab?  Shouldn't be, because that pulls from the PC.

So to get that into your drawing title block is nothing more then editing the definition of the title block and linking the username property to some text within the titleblock.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 26
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi mgeurts,

Please refrain from creating duplicate posts, as it tends to create confusion and often wastes the time of those who are replying to one thread, when the solution is posted at the other.

With that in mind, your other thread has an iLogic solution:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-Customization/Print-user-name/td-p/4900816

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 26
Cadmanto

As a follow up to what I was writing before, if you go under resources in the browser and edit the titleblock you are using then RC on it as shown below.

TB.jpg

When you see your titleblock in the dit mode, either create some text or edit text already existing and select as shown below.

EDIT TEXT.jpg

Then when the dialog window appears,

EDIT.jpg

Select the "Type" , "Property" as shown above, and select the down arrow to populate this property into the text.

The "Author" property feeds from the username so it should work for you.

Hope this helps.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 26
mgeurts
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi,

I'm not aware of any use of i-logic in 2010.

Overhere idw's are produced by different people and printed by others.

What i'm looking for is the name on drawing from the one that printed the idw from his station.

Sorry for the cross posting.

I closed the other threat ( http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-Customization/Print-user-name/m-p/4900944#M49069 )

Mark 

Inventor 2010

PSP-Easy 2010

WIN7

3DS Max 2022
Win 10
Message 7 of 26
Cadmanto

Mark,

The instructions I gave you will work for what you are looking to do.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 26
mrattray

I don't think the author property will work for him, Scott. He's looking to pull the user name of the person hitting print, which he says is not the same as the person who made the drawing.
Mark,
You'll have to use a macro if you don't have access to iLogic. Why are you using such an old version?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 26
Cadmanto
in reply to: mrattray

Mike,

Maybe not, but the original posting wanted to know how to get the username into the drawing.  Since the "Author" is linked to the username, and when printing, it takes that same username because that is the PC that is printing, it assumes that is the user hitting the print button.

Now , if the OP has a central terminal that is doing all of the printing and everyone has to walk over to it to make their prints, that I can see this being needed, which in this case everyone would, like it has been suggested, run  an iLogic routine to determine who is hitting the print button.

Now, if Jeff walks over to your machine Mike and hits the print button, the printer is going to assume you sent it because that is who is logged in.

Maybe I am confused as to what exactly the OP is looking for, because if I am logged into my machine and someone else walks over and hit the print button it is like I said unless I log out and the other user logs in as himself.  Then like it has been said, maybe the iLogic is needed to avoid everyone from logging in and out of a machine.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 10 of 26
mrattray

My understanding is that the "Author" property is the user name of the person who originally created the file, not the current user. Am I mistaken?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 26
Cadmanto

Mike,

I think you are half right.  The Author is tied to the username which is found in the Applications options under the General tab.  Which is tied to the one that installed the software which in turn is tied to the one logged in.  All by default with out any changes.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 26
mrattray

No, I'm sure that I'm completely right. Smiley Happy

Here is my application options, note my user name:

Capture2.JPG

Here is the iProperties tab of a drawing made by another user on my network, note that it does not equal my user name:

Capture.JPG

The author property is only updated when the drawing is first created; unless it is changed manually or with iLogic programming.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 26
Mikko

Getting the person who actually did the printing is next to impossible for many reasons. About the best you can expect is to use a plot stamp or some such thing which could give you the name of the computer, date, etc. that did the printing. Hard to tell who is standing behind the keyboard.
Message 14 of 26
Cadmanto

Mike,

You might be completely right, I am basing my points on the fact that if I was to show you the exact same screen shots both here and at home they would be the same.

Either way, this is probably the best bet for what the OP is looking to do other then through iLogic.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 15 of 26
NachitoMax

Hi

I use the Environ("username") function. Works every time for me without any problems. It will show the username of the computer that is currently being used.

Nigel

Nacho

Automation & Design Engineer

Inventor Programmer (C#, VB.Net / iLogic)

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 16 of 26
mgeurts
in reply to: NachitoMax

@Scott     Thanks for the effort.

@Mike      Thanks for diggin deeper. To answer your question: we cannot force the board to upgrade.

@Nigel     If this is what you mean, could you show how to get it in an idw? 

The user name from Inventor's Option page is stored in.  You can write it to iproperties then have that shown on your drawing.

iProperties.Value("Summary", "Author")=ThisApplication.GeneralOptions.UserName

Or will give you the windows user

iProperties.Value("Summary", "Author")=Environ("USERNAME")

Regards, Mark

3DS Max 2022
Win 10
Message 17 of 26
mgeurts

I will try to find it out myself:

http://http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=16459234

3DS Max 2022
Win 10
Message 18 of 26
mrattray

Your link is broken.
That code you posted here is iLogic. If you're on 2010 you can't use it.
We could write an API function, but I honestly don't know how you could call it from 2010 without going into the API every time.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 19 of 26
NachitoMax

Hi

I guess you could write it into a button but the op would have to manually click it in order for it to update.

Nigel

Nacho

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 20 of 26
NachitoMax

Hi

My new iproperties tool has this option to add the computer username to the author field as well as the checked by field too. The tool will be released next month in the App Store at a small fee. You should always fill out your properties correctly anyway and the tool does that. You can fill out properties completely for an average of 60 parts in about 4-5 minutes.

Thanks

Nigel

Nacho

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report