Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Previous Version was Migrated Prompt.

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
sgwilliams
1198 Views, 14 Replies

Previous Version was Migrated Prompt.

Not sure if this is the right catagory but this happens when I'm using Inventor Professional 2014 that has the Vault Professional 2014 plugin or addin what ever you call it.

Our Engineering department just switched over to Product Design Suite 2014 and Vault Professional 2014. The entire vault database was migrated during the upgrade process, which is fine but It now causes me an annoying issue. Every file that was migrated and has not yet been opened with the new software  has this prompt that alerts me that the data format has been changed. Is there anyway I can turn off this prompt? I know the files have been migrated I really do not need to be reminded everytime I open a file its very irritating and is not a necessary step in my opinion.

Work Station : Custom built, Liquid Cooled, Asus Pro WS X570-ACE Motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor; ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 V2 OC Edition Video Card; 32 GB CORSAIR Dominator Platinum DDR4-2132 Memory ; Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Drive.
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
CCarreiras
in reply to: sgwilliams

Hi!

You had migrated the Vault database, but the files remain in the same version.

Yes, this warning will appear everytime you save a file coming from a previous Inventor Version.

You can disabble this warning here, you already try it?

1.png

Regards

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 15
CCarreiras
in reply to: CCarreiras

Hi!

I try it, sorry, but will not solve your problem...

Any Ideas?

Regards.

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 4 of 15
sgwilliams

Thanks for trying Carlos, I tried it also and you are right that does not fix the issue.

Actually the file was migrated. The prompt was just letting me know it was and that if I save the file it will not be able to be opened up again with a previous version of Inventor.

I can see how this might be required if the user was not aware of the change but our department was switched over and we alll are very aware of the change so to be reminded of the chane is just an inefficient way of spending time to click on a button that doesn't need to be clicked. When a user like myself may work on anywheres from 10-50  files a day it. This gets very annoying. It did the same thing with our last switch over a couple years ago. Once the file has been saved once the prompt doesn't come back. We have thousands of files in our vault and I have to deal with this prompt many many times a day.

Work Station : Custom built, Liquid Cooled, Asus Pro WS X570-ACE Motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor; ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 V2 OC Edition Video Card; 32 GB CORSAIR Dominator Platinum DDR4-2132 Memory ; Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Drive.
Message 5 of 15
CCarreiras

Hi!

Also i tyed to find the warning in the "application Tools" warning Tab, doesnt exist..

BUT... I remember one thing...

Have youtryed to migrate all the parts in one row With the "Task Scheduler" application?

I thing this will solve your problem by migrating the all files easily.

1.png

You can find this tool in the startup: Autodesk-->Inventor 20++-->Tools.

Check it!!

Regards.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 6 of 15
sgwilliams
in reply to: CCarreiras

Nope no solution yet. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I'm calling Advanced Solutions who our software is purchased from and am waiting for a response back from them also. If I get a fix I will update this message. Thanks for trying Carlos, appreciate your time.

Message 7 of 15
sgwilliams

As I have waited 9 months and still have found no soultion I give up and hope that the software designers at Autodesk fix this in 2015 or 2016 depending on when we decide to upgrade to the next current version. We usually wait two versions and then wait for the SP1 to be released before we switch over.  Thanks for your help guys really appreciate your time spent on this issue.

Message 8 of 15

Hi sgwilliams,

I don't have a solution, but here is a related link where this is identified as a defect:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/2013-The-data-format-has-changed-dialog/m-p/4757873#M...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 9 of 15
mcgyvr
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

It sure seems like your files weren't migrated.... Inventor sure thinks they aren't anyways..

Should be an easy check by looking at the iproperties of the files.

Next time you get that..press cancel then check the Inventor iproperties detail tab using windows explorer for that file.. It will show creation version/last saved version,etc... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 10 of 15
sgwilliams
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

It sure seems like your files weren't migrated.... Inventor sure thinks they aren't anyways..

Should be an easy check by looking at the iproperties of the files.

Next time you get that..press cancel then check the Inventor iproperties detail tab using windows explorer for that file.. It will show creation version/last saved version,etc... 

No my files are migrated. The Dialog just states that the file has been migrated and that if I proceed I will no longer be able to open it in a previous version of Inventor. Please view the image of the dialog.

MIGRATED PROMPT.JPG

Message 11 of 15
wimann

I believe that your files are being migrated during the save and though inventor is not asking your permission to migrate, it is informing you that migration has been completed.

I don't believe there is a way to turn this off.

However, one key stroke gets you past the window and it's never really been an "issue" for me personally. I usually already have my hand over the enter key after pressing "ctrl+S, enter" in order to initiate the save. So I just press it again.

I suppose I could see this being a bit annoying to some but not to me personally.

Sorry I can't be of more help. We'll just have to wait and see.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 12 of 15
sgwilliams
in reply to: wimann

@wimann wrote:

I believe that your files are being migrated during the save and though inventor is not asking your permission to migrate, it is informing you that migration has been completed.

I don't believe there is a way to turn this off.

However, one key stroke gets you past the window and it's never really been an "issue" for me personally. I usually already have my hand over the enter key after pressing "ctrl+S, enter" in order to initiate the save. So I just press it again.

I suppose I could see this being a bit annoying to some but not to me personally.

Sorry I can't be of more help. We'll just have to wait and see.

No we migrate our files in Autodesk Vault. We have over 20,000 Inventor drawings and models. When we upgrade to a newer version we do a mass migration in the Autodesk Vault database. This is supposed to save us time migrating files than deal with them individually. Seems like a wasted step to do a mass migration when you have to migrate the file again when you open it. If you read the dialog it  tells you what has happened. I do not need too be informed of something I'm already well aware of. You might not mind clicking another button, but I do. I think redundancy is inefficient and should be corrected. This dialog has been coming up for many versions of Inventor. I read in another article that this issue is a defect with Inventor but has not been fixed due to priorities. I guess it just keeps getting ignored instead of fixed.

It's all about politics, this dialog doesn't effect the product enough to deal with, kinda like car companies not fixing defective stuff untill they realize the law suites start costing them more than if they had fixed it.

Thanks for the input!

Message 13 of 15
wimann

Ah I see. You probably already mentioned in a previous post that you migrated them through vault. My mistake for misunderstanding. In that case, you're right, I wouldn't understand why it would bother showing you that the data format had changed. I only get that window when I change the format the first time and I've only done it through inventor and not through vault. I suppose that's why I'm saying that the extra key stroke doesn't bother me. I only end up having to do it... shoot, I don't know... maybe a couple dozen times a year.

And to your point of them not making time to resolve the issue; Yeah, I could see that. They've probably got countless other bugs to fix. And some of those, I'm sure, are more cause for concern than the one in this thread.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. May be worth posting in the Inventor Ideas form? Perhaps they integrate the same functionality they have with other dialogs (always, not again for this operation, not again for this session, never).

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 14 of 15
mcgyvr

@sgwilliams wrote:

No my files are migrated. The Dialog just states that the file has been migrated and that if I proceed I will no longer be able to open it in a previous version of Inventor. Please view the image of the dialog.

MIGRATED PROMPT.JPG

Thats the EXACT dialog you get WHEN its migrating files.. There is no dialog for files that were previously migrated.. 

I don't use Vault but I cannot believe that they would pop up a dialog saying that the files were already migrated.. That dialog is telling you there are going to be migrated.. But just a poor choice of dialog language.  Like I said you can view the details of your Inventor files to be sure through windows explorer. 

migratefilesdetails.PNG

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 15 of 15
sgwilliams
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

Thats the EXACT dialog you get WHEN its migrating files.. There is no dialog for files that were previously migrated.. 

I don't use Vault but I cannot believe that they would pop up a dialog saying that the files were already migrated.. That dialog is telling you there are going to be migrated.. But just a poor choice of dialog language.  Like I said you can view the details of your Inventor files to be sure through windows explorer. 

migratefilesdetails.PNG

mcgyvr thanks for your input it has really shed a lot of light on this issue with our IT department and our distributor. This brought up the question of the mas migration. The mas migration is not a migration of the files themselves it is a migration of the Vault Database itself and does not migrate individual files. The failure of having this explained to me is why I was so frustrated with this prompt. You was right in saying that the file was not migrated because it was not. I found the files thru windows explorer, right clicked on the file in question and selected iProperties. Then I selected the Details tab and seen what you was saying the file I looked at was created with Version 2009 and was last updated with Version 2009. This confirmation that the file was not migrated made me go back to our IT staff and ask why. They too was confused and after much discussion and debate it was discovered that our files had never been migrated only the database and its structure was, which is actually only the container which stores & manages the files themselves. 

ccarreiras also has the right answer but I just didn't see it. He told me to use the Inventor Task scheduler to migrate the files which is the correct tool needed to perform this. once this has been accomplished the dialog should not come up any longer. Not sure how long it will take me to chip away at batches from the 20,000 files we have but I'm sure its not going to be an overnight migration.

I'm going to give kudos to both your answers and use them as solutions.

Thanks for your patience guys I really appreciate your time spent on this issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report