Inventor General Discussion

Cdspyro
Message 1 of 3 (496 Views)

Pressure Vessel Assembly

496 Views, 2 Replies
12-05-2012 04:19 PM

We are testing out inventor for the use of modeling our Pressure Vessels in 3D. I've been trying to figure out the best way to do this and I'm finding Inventor more difficult than previously thought.

I have created a shell and a pipe that needs to be flush with the ID of the shell as two different parts. However, when I go to assemble them, I cannot find a way to mate them properly.

Also, is there a way to construct it so that if we need to update the location (i.e. elevation and orientation) we can do so fairly easily?

Distinguished Contributor
robmatthews
Message 2 of 3 (483 Views)

Re: Pressure Vessel Assembly

12-05-2012 05:08 PM in reply to: Cdspyro

Is the pipe a penetration? I assume you have a suitable hole in the shell?  You will probably need to create some construciton geometry; that is, user work axes and work points, and mate with those. I think if the pipe is radial, then  would create a workplane tangential to the inside of the shell, and normal to the axis of the hole. The end of the pipe can also be cut to match the ID of the pressure vessel.

Does this make sense?

=============================================
This is my signature, not part of my post.
*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 3 of 3 (455 Views)

Re: Pressure Vessel Assembly

12-06-2012 04:21 AM in reply to: Cdspyro

This is fairly easy to do.  It would probably be easier to demonstrate if you attached your files here.

The absolute easiest method is to start with multi-body solids, but that might not be appropraite for every design.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube