Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Precise view placement idw

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
stephengibson76
2004 Views, 10 Replies

Precise view placement idw

Is there a way to align geometry of a view with border geometry?  In autocad, when we create a viewport, the geometry is in a set place on the drawing sheet.

for example if we are doing the deck plans on a vessel, the CL of the vessel lines up with the middle of the border and the transom is a set distance from the border, concequently if you imagine a flip book animation of the deck drawings, the vessel is always on the same spot relative to the sheet border.

In inventor, because the views are just placed, as you flip thru the decks, (usually pdf's or slide presentation), the vessel jumps around on the screen compared to the border position which is fixed

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Cadmanto
in reply to: stephengibson76

Stephen,

I am thinking your best bet would be to have predefined views in your drawing template.  This way they always show up in the same locatio as you are looking for.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 11
stephengibson76
in reply to: Cadmanto

i dont think thats going to work... if you had a 10 floor building, each floor would be a section thru the building, i could see you had your section view setup in the template and just drag the section line onto what floor you would like but the view is still randomly sitting on the sheet and would not tie into other view spacings sech as elevations which are also a set distance from the border

Stephen Gibson

Message 4 of 11
Cadmanto

I see your point.  I knew it wouldn't be a clear cut solution, but thought it might be something to give you some sort of work around.  What you ahve here might be make a good idea in the Inventor IdeaStation.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 11
rdyson

Could you do your drawings in Mechanical using Inventor Link? Drawings stay linked to models but with all the features / problems of Acad.

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 11
cwhetten

This is possible with iLogic.  In the iLogic editor there are some snippets of code to position drawing views relative to any corner of the drawing sheet, or even relative to other views.

iLogic View Position.png

It wouldn't be too hard to write a short rule to position your drawing views precisely.  Give it a try and post back if you have more questions.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Message 7 of 11
stephengibson76
in reply to: rdyson

Thanks, I cant see how to move the Inventor DWG view in mechanical

Stephen Gibson

Message 8 of 11
stephengibson76
in reply to: cwhetten

Thanks, I dont think this would be suitable either, i need to place views from geometry rather than view boundry or centre.  different sections have different sized boundries, eg the keel of the ship is only going to be 70% the length of main deck

Ill give it a try

Stephen Gibson

Message 9 of 11
rdyson

I'm suggesting that you create your drawings in Mech. I realize it's not an ideal solution.

PDSU 2016
Message 10 of 11

Although I have'nt tried it, I'm thinking that you could make a sketch in your IDW (template maybe) and use that to constrain the view to. I know you can do this with a sketch placed on a view and constrain a section line to the view.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 11 of 11
ic198

I've sent a similar question to my vendor before and was told there is no way to do this. The best they could suggest was adding a grid of lines to your drawing template- put the lines on a layer that won't print- and line them up manually. Not very satisfactory. It is definitely worth putting this in to the Idea Station as a request- I'd find it very useful as well for the same reason as you and I'm sure we can't be the only ones.

One thing you may find useful- RMB on your Base drawing view and go to Edit View. Click on the Display Options tab and change View Justification from Centered to Fixed. That will stop the view jumping around when parts are added or removed from the assembly- then if you do line it up manually, at least it will stay there...

There is a related idea in the idea station here

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Drawings-Allow-Multiple-View-Alignment/idi-p/3841...

which has been accepted to be added at some point

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report