Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Positional Reps & Flexibility tutorial

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mjkelly
166 Views, 6 Replies

Positional Reps & Flexibility tutorial

Is there a tutorial which explains positional reps and flexibility out there anywhere. The help within IV9 is not much help - as usual. I have tried several combinations of positional representation overrides and flexible state overrides within a set of assemblies and see no differences when it comes to flexibility. I guess I just do not understand the implementation.

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mjkelly

mjkelly, With Pos Reps, you create a new pos rep where you can then override assembly constraint(s) and give them a new value. If you do this repeatedly, you can end up with are several pos reps you can click on to get different positional states of your assembly. Example: a door in several pos rep states...closed, open, ajar overriding an angular constraint. Flexibility is a totally different animal. Flexibility allows occurances of a sub-assembly to be in different positions at the same time. Previously, if we wanted this, you would have to bring in the subs as unique ones, not occurances in order for them to be in different states at the same time. Example: An IC engine with a piston and connecting rod as a sub-assembly occurances. Even if the connecting rod is free to rotate, occurances must be at the same "free" angle at any time. With flexibilty, we can have the occurances containing the connecting rod be at different angles at the same time. I hope this helped... Best regards, -- Hugh Henderson (Inventor Workflow QA) "mjkelly" wrote in message news:17060094.1093016284018.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Is there a tutorial which explains positional reps and flexibility out there anywhere. The help within IV9 is not much help - as usual. I have tried several combinations of positional representation overrides and flexible state overrides within a set of assemblies and see no differences when it comes to flexibility. I guess I just do not understand the implementation. > > Thanks.
Message 3 of 7
mjkelly

Hugh,
Yes, that clears things up for the most part. The only question I have is how are these occurrances of the same assembly shown in the top level assembly? Is it just a matter of applying different constraints to each occurrance? Does that mean that each occurrance must be designated as "flexible"? Sorry, that was more than one question.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

There is an update book available..... Autodesk Inventor 9 Update AOTC $59.95 per pack (1 in a pack) Your Price: $35.97 Part #: 527090500081600 The Autodesk Inventor®9 Update courseware is designed to enable attendees to understand the new and enhanced functionalities offered in Autodesk Inventor 9. This is a two-day course which focuses on updating the student's prior Autodesk Inventor experience in the areas of: Enhancements to Sketching, Part Modeling, Assembly Modeling, Drawing, and Data Management. There is heavy emphasis on the use of hands on exercises. Instruction length: 2 days "mjkelly" wrote in message news:33356098.1093020869330.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hugh, > Yes, that clears things up for the most part. The only question I have is how are these occurrances of the same assembly shown in the top level assembly? Is it just a matter of applying different constraints to each occurrance? Does that mean that each occurrance must be designated as "flexible"? Sorry, that was more than one question.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Each occurrence is shown just like it would be in previous versions of Inventor.

The difference is that each occurrence can individually be marked as "Flexible" (toggle this in just the same way you might toggle Adaptivity) in which case any available degrees of freedom can be exploited *for that occurrence only*.

Just like each occurrence of the same assembly can be displayed (either visually or positionally) differently, each can be 'flexible' in the top level assembly.

I think the easiest way to see this is to bring two copies of the same cylinder assembly into a top level assembly, and make both Flexible. If you leave the cylinder assembly under-constrained so that you could freely drag the cylinder rod through its available stroke, you can move the cylinder rods of each occurrence of the cylinder assembly separately.

I've attached a (very) rough assembly that shows what I'm talking about.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

mjkelly, I put an example in customer.files for Flexible Assemblies with instructions. If you look at the example for Pos Reps in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 9\Samples\Models\Representations\Stapler, you will see how Pos Reps work instead of my "hand-waving" I hope I'm correct in interpreting that your question is now strictly about flexible assemblies. "how are these occurrances of the same assembly shown in the top level assembly?" -they are shown in the same way as previous releases in both the assembly browser and graphics window. e.g. piston_assembly:1, piston_assembly:2 etc. "Is it just a matter of applying different constraints to each occurrance?" -We don't need to apply different constraints. Basically, a DOF of the sub-assemblies can be in different positions. "Does that mean that each occurrance must be designated as "flexible"?" Yes. If you want the DOF of each sub to be independent, you must make each one flexible. Thanks! -- Hugh Henderson (Inventor Workflow QA) "mjkelly" wrote in message news:33356098.1093020869330.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hugh, > Yes, that clears things up for the most part. The only question I have is how are these occurrances of the same assembly shown in the top level assembly? Is it just a matter of applying different constraints to each occurrance? Does that mean that each occurrance must be designated as "flexible"? Sorry, that was more than one question.
Message 7 of 7
mjkelly

Excellent explaination! Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report