Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help with constraining coil to strut!

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
bhayn003
845 Views, 20 Replies

Please help with constraining coil to strut!

Hello everyone! This is a project I am working on for a class, we had to build an assmbly with some moving parts. What I have done is put together a coilover suspension sytem that is supposed to be height adjustable by turning the lower perches that the spring sits on either up or down on the threaded body of the strut. As you turn the perches, the spring should compress or decompress depending on where you have the perches set to. Also I would like to be able to show how if you pushed down on the top mount that the strut and spring would also compress.

What I need help with is setting up and driving the constraints to achieve this. I have managed to assemble the coilover the way it should look when put together, but I need to know what I need to do to have the proper constraints set up so that when they are driven the spring will compress as needed and both the lower perches can thread up and down on the strut. I also want to make sure that when being compressed, the upper perch that sits on top of the spring will not go any further than the bushing in the top mount that would attach the coilover to the car.

I will attach the assembly file along with the individual parts so that you all will be able to see it and if possible go ahead and help me with setting up the neccessary constraints. Any help or even just advice would be awesome! I tried asking my instructor today and he just answered me by saying to look in the book. I have been looking through the book for the past few days to try and get this right and still am desperate for help. Thanks for looking, and please feel free to criticize and make the neccessary adjustments to make this beauty work like it should!

Also I guess I can only attach three files so I have attached the assembled coilover, the lower perch, and the upper perch. If any other part file is needed I believe I can attach them in a later post.

Inventor Professional 2013 SP 1.1 Edu Version 64-bit
Sony VAIO Laptop E14 series
Student at Old Dominion University!
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
JDMather
in reply to: bhayn003

You will need to attach the other files.

You can put them all in a folder and then right click on the folder and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file.

There are 3 basic ways to do this.

Easy 1. Add a Force Joint in place of the spring (and a Screw joint for the adjustment nut) in Environments>Dynamic Simulation

Moderate 2. Make the length of the spring a Parameter and Animate Parameter in Environments>Inventor Studio

Hard way 3. Make the sping Adaptive in Assembly Environment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 21
bhayn003
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the response! I just tried attaching a zipped file with all components and the forum keeps telling me the file size is too large to attach. I also tried to attach the rest of the individual part files and it keeps giving me the same message...any ideas on why that's not working? I will go back and try what you said is the easy way and see what happens.

Message 4 of 21
JDMather

Sure would be nice if there was a Knowledge Based Article link to explain how to roll up the End of Part marker to reduce file size.  Search here on the terns roll up EOP End of Part marker.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 21
bhayn003

I have some questions about how to go about doing this the easiest way. First off, should I just go ahead and delete my spring from the assembly? Will it be replaced byt the "force joint" created from selecting a spring as the type of force joint? Also if that is the case, how would I go about determining the force amount once I have the force joint in place?

Message 6 of 21
bhayn003

Having problems creating a screw joint as well. I honestly am puzzled by why I'm having so much trouble with this lol. I am trying to follow the step-by-step guide from the autodesk website on how to insert a screw joint and am not having much luck at all.

Message 7 of 21
JDMather

Dynamic Simulation is an advanced topic.

It will be easiest to use your actual files to show how to set it up.

One way or another attach the rest of the files (except for the spring) here.

EESignature

Message 8 of 21
bhayn003

Tried rolling up EOP's on all parts then sending them to compressed file and still it tells me the file is too large. I will try to attach them individually

Message 9 of 21
bhayn003

Above was the Coilover assembly attached, I will attach the other parts below.

Message 10 of 21
bhayn003

More part files attached...

Message 11 of 21
bhayn003

More files...

Message 12 of 21
bhayn003

Sorry for the multiple posts, but this was the only way I could manage to attach all the part files. Everything is fully constrained and all EOP'S are rolled up hence the invisibility of most of the parts in the assembly file. I also attched the spring below just in case it is needed. Hopefully this is everyhting needed to be able to help me with having the correct constraints to drive in order to show the spring compressing! Thanks for all the help again!

Message 13 of 21
JDMather

I will get back to this when I get a chance - but you made this wayyy to difficult for anyone wanting to help.

All of the files could be in one zipped folder (attached).

You are missing a part named Solid1 (and several fasteners, but that is less of a problem.

EESignature

Message 14 of 21
JDMather

With many of your parts it looked to me like you were doing too much work.

Check this spring.

EESignature

Message 15 of 21
JDMather

Pattern Features when possible rather than sketch entities.

Otherwise you end up with wayyy too many sketch constraints.

Pattern.PNG

EESignature

Message 16 of 21
bhayn003

Well that was the first thing I tried. After rolling up the EOP's for each part I then put them in a compressed folder which did reduce the size of the folder greatly, but even still after doing that and trying to attach that it still told me file size was too large. I will attach the solid 1 file too when I get back to my computer shortly. Is it too difficult because of all the separate files? I do apologize, that seemed to be the only way I could manage to attach them.
Message 17 of 21
bhayn003

Oh wow that is way too many constraints you are right. Basically I was making this way harder on me than it should have been
Message 18 of 21
JDMather

Note in the Spring_jd.ipt file that I posted the height of the spring is controlled by a Parameter that I named Height.

This parameter can be animated in Inventor Studio.

I have everything completed for you - but I want to give you a chance to figure it out first.

Spring Height.PNG

EESignature

Message 19 of 21
JDMather

The easier way is with a Spring Joint in Environments>Dynamic Simulation, but it really depends on why you are doing this animation.  The DS solution can then be pushed out to Inventor Studio Environment for Rendering/Animation.

DS joint.PNG

EESignature

Message 20 of 21
bhayn003

Thanks man, you put me on the right track for sure! Took me a bit but I did figure out how to animate the spring compressing based off the parameter you named height. The DS is helpful, but the purpose of the simulation is for a project for school; we had to build an assembly with at least 10 parts and show it move/function so using the spring you added a parameter to is what works best for me. Thank you very much again for the help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report