Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Place from custom content center

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
AdamQjas
277 Views, 6 Replies

Place from custom content center

Hi!

As everybody know when you placing parts from custom CC You can choose key columns like:size, material etc. But i'm dealing with other problem..i want to insert part from my library, save as custom and in dialbox fill following information:

- size

-material

-project number - and here is the problem. Is there is some way to add window i dialbox with name "project name" but with some special field where You can write a text??? Something like inserting lenhgt when placing profiles... I know that when clicking right  mouse on my part in CCeditor and and next ->Family Table there is option in Column propertis named Expression  and you can choose there  custom column but there are only numbers without the posibility of text options.

example:

i want to insert part from custom CC, save as custom

and fill information about project name and by the way project name = file name.

Some of you will probably  advise to use option "file naming" clicking by right mouse on part in CC editor but this   does not meet my requirements because ofc i can tell that file name need to have prefix 131415-245-2002  but i want to jump to other project 131313-... where prefix is different.

thank you in advance

Adam

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Kennco
in reply to: AdamQjas

I also am wondering if there is some way to do this.  Or even have 3 or so text options that can be set when placing a part from content center.  I have just about finished setting up the Content Center, but would like to avoid having to open up the part and manually enter in a value if I could do so with a Content Center column.

Message 3 of 7
cbenner
in reply to: Kennco

Welcome both of you.

Are you basically asking if there is a way to populate part iproperties through the Content Center?  If so, the answer is yes.  You can add as many custom columns to the CC as you like, and map them to part iproperties so that the value will be filled in as you place the part.

If this is what you are looking for, refer to this quick write up I did on it: http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/2014/01/populating-autodesk-inventor.html

If this is not what you wanted, my apologies... can you please elaborate on exactly what the desired results are and I'll try again.... or maybe someone else will have an idea?

Message 4 of 7
Kennco
in reply to: cbenner

The initial poster seems to want to be able to enter custom prefix during placement from content center and have it be mapped correctly to the part properties, instead of automatically being populated.  Similar to how you can specify a length and have it be correctly generated, something the expression option does not allow as it is numbers with units only.

Being able to enter custom text when placing from content center would satisfy my needs, as I need to specify what we call an End Cut, which can have 3 different text options.  Being able to have a drop down that has those 3 options when I am placing from Content Center would be better.   I alread have the rest of the Content Center customization completed, this is just a minor irritant that requires opening the iProperties and manually changing the Custom field that I have the Content Center mapping End Cut to.

The only work around I have found would be to set the Content Center up similar to the way I set up our pipe.  When a pipe nominal size is selected, the next selection is schedule 40 or schedule 80, allowing pipe size, schedule, and length to all be properly mapped when a pipe part is placed from Content Center.  This option would be extremely time consuming and tedious though, as I'd have to manually change every Content Center family to have the same nonimal part number with a different end cut option.  Potentially creating 3 different entries for ever size of steel.

Message 5 of 7
cbenner

It sounds as if you would both like to add to the default dialog box that is opened when placing from the CC.  Personally, I am not aware of any way to do this.  I would suggest trying the Inventor Customization forum, as there may be something you can do with iLogic or API.  If this sounds reasonable I can ask that this thread be moved there, or you can start a new thread in the forum.

Message 6 of 7
Kennco
in reply to: cbenner

You can change the dialogue box that appears when placing from content center by selecting the key columns in the material table for the Content Center item.  The initial poster would like to be able to set a column to be able to enter text when placing an item from the content center and have it populate the properties.  Similar to how you can designate length when placing from content center.

I would prefer to be able to set a column to have 3 choices, without having to copy all my materials 3 times and have my custom "End Cut" property have each of the 3 different options my company needs.  From my research prior to posting, and your response, it looks like I am out of luck and will just have to manually enter it in.

Message 7 of 7
cbenner

@Kennco wrote:

You can change the dialogue box that appears when placing from content center by selecting the key columns in the material table for the Content Center item.  The initial poster would like to be able to set a column to be able to enter text when placing an item from the content center and have it populate the properties.  Similar to how you can designate length when placing from content center.

I would prefer to be able to set a column to have 3 choices, without having to copy all my materials 3 times and have my custom "End Cut" property have each of the 3 different options my company needs.  From my research prior to posting, and your response, it looks like I am out of luck and will just have to manually enter it in.

Again I would suggest asking the programming dudes, they might know a workaround to both of these questions, using some sort of code.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report