Inventor General Discussion

Active Contributor
conbuc
Message 1 of 5 (375 Views)
Accepted Solution

Place a hole referenced from a plane instead of an edge.

375 Views, 4 Replies
10-19-2012 11:26 AM

I would like to use the hole command to place a hole in a part. When I place the hole it won't allow me to use one of the origin planes to locate the hole from. Can I only locate holes off edges?

*Expert Elite*
Curtis_Waguespack
Message 2 of 5 (372 Views)

Re: Place a hole referenced from a plane instead of an edge.

10-19-2012 11:34 AM in reply to: conbuc

Hi conbuc,

If you create a sketch on the plane and insert a sketch point, you can then create the hole from the sketch point using the hole tool.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

solution.png  Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or  Kudos button below.

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 3 of 5 (361 Views)

10-19-2012 12:12 PM in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

This is the only workflow I use for holes. I never liked using the hole command's dialog for defining the hole position in Inventor or SolidWorks.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

*Pro
sbixler
Message 4 of 5 (325 Views)

10-20-2012 11:07 AM in reply to: mrattray

mrattray wrote:

This is the only workflow I use for holes. I never liked using the hole command's dialog for defining the hole position in Inventor or SolidWorks.

I agree, with a couple of exceptions-- creating a sketch for a hole concentric to another circular feature is way more work and no improvement over using the Concentric placement option.  And once in a while, the Point option also saves a lot of work.

Active Contributor
conbuc
Message 5 of 5 (275 Views)

10-22-2012 07:19 AM in reply to: sbixler

Thank you all for the responses. I will use sketches to place or locate my holes.

It does suprise me however that Inventor would not allow the hole to be referenced off of edges AND/OR planes. Inventor already knows where the planes are and in many cases I want the holes to stay put based on the center of the part, not off one edge.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube