Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pippe Insulation Representation

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mcsudge
1877 Views, 5 Replies

Pippe Insulation Representation

This may have a super easy solution that i couldn't think of.

I am trying to create a representation of 10" diameter insulation that will cover the 3" pipe (the thickest one shown in the attached picture). This pipe has been created using the Tube and Piping environment, so I don't know the best method, if there is one, to do it. I tried doing a sweep using the pipe route's center-line, but ran into complications, I may have not been doing it right. All it really has to be is a visual representation so that I can visually check clearances and for presentation purposes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: mcsudge

My suggestion would be to create your own hose.  While I have created specific hose within the tube and pipe editor, what you are requiring may involve creating something outside of T & P and then importing it in.  I invision a tube with the insulation around it so when you select this configuration within T & P and place your run, this complete combo is shown.  I hope that makes sense.  Problem is I have no idea how to create this on the outside (or if it can even be done) and them import it.  That is where I would get stuck on this one.  Smiley Wink

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6
blair
in reply to: Cadmanto

I would create a new pipe style with the 10" OD with the standard 3" pipe ID and give it a custom density that will match the combined mass of the composite pipe.

No way I know of to have a dual layer pipe it the T & P module.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 6
gvice
in reply to: mcsudge

I made a vertical bag filter vessel and covered with 1/2" tubing wrap for steam tracing using the coil feature, then they told me that they wanted it covered with insulation.  Not knowing how to show that, I tried using THICKEN/OFFSET feature under surface and gave it the thickness of 3".  It worked out quite well for me. It covered my tubing that I wanted show, so I gave the insulation a clear property.  Not sure if this will work for you but give it a try.

Message 5 of 6
blair
in reply to: gvice

I might create a custom CC part for the insulation along with elbows if it's using rigid pipe runs and stock elbows would be the other way to go.

Without really understanding the scope of the project, it's pretty hard to give a solid answer.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 6
mcsudge
in reply to: blair

Sweet, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, Inventor doesn't allow you to apply the thicken/offset command to the piping components, since the piping parts aren't standard inventor parts in the Tube and Piping environment. So i'll try creating custom CC pipe and elbows for the insulation lines. 

The weird part that I dont understand, is that I was able to make a sweep using a combination of 2D and 3D sketches using 'project geometry' from the fittings and centerline of the pipe; but it would only be visible if I opened the pipe routes sub-assembly in a separate window. I ensured all the work features, planes, points, axes were turned on in the main assembly, but no success. But it's not an important enough issue to really spend a lot of time researching, as there are higher priorities and deadlines to deal with, as I'm sure you guys know all too well.

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report