Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pattern of a image/decal

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ben.walchli
1685 Views, 5 Replies

Pattern of a image/decal

I've been trying all sorts of methods to apply an image to a pattern of extrusions, but making a pattern of the extrusion (or solid) does not allow images/decals to be attached. Currently the only way I can have the image be applied to the top face of patterned extrusion is to create a new sketch, and inside of that sketch pattern the image with references to dimensions in the extrusion pattern.

Making a pattern of the solid, which includes the extrusion and decal, does not work either as only the extrusion is patterned. Is making a sketch with a referenced pattern really the only way to have patterned images in a single part file? I know I could make a single extrusion+image a part file, then pattern that in an assembly, but it just seems nonsensical.

Also, is there a reason why the pattern tool in sketch mode does not have the midplane feature (symmetric)?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Likewise i have a pipe with a decal.

When i pattern the pipe to form a train of pipes the decal does not pattern - it just stays on the first pipe only.

I also notice there doesn't seem to be a Suppress>If function for decals.  What a shame! As this would allow me to switch between a variety of appropriate decal labels very easily.

Anyone know how to achieve this?

DecalDoesntPattern.GIF

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Atkins Consultants Ltd UK
+19,000 staff (M&E, Civils, Structural, Geotechnical, Environmental and more)
Message 3 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: DynamicObjects

Any reason you aren't using iam files or iassemblies?

Or are you later on?

Seems like you are just using multi-body solid parts? Do you just have Inventor LT?

But in general.. The ability to pattern a decal in a part file is simply not supported.. You can add your request to the ideastation for possible addition in future versions of the software..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 6
DynamicObjects
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi mcgyvr - as you have noticed the pipe-train part above is a multi-body solid part. It gets inserted into an assembly .iam at a later stage along with some of the kit that the pipe-train connects to.

Are you telling me that iassemblies offer the ability to pattern up a part containing a decal ? - i shall go investigate that. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 6
mcgyvr
in reply to: DynamicObjects

@DynamicObjects wrote:
Hi mcgyvr - as you have noticed the pipe-train part above is a multi-body solid part. It gets inserted into an assembly .iam at a later stage along with some of the kit that the pipe-train connects to.

Are you telling me that iassemblies offer the ability to pattern up a part containing a decal ? - i shall go investigate that. Thanks.

Your image and comments make me think that instead of making a multi-body solid that you might be better off using regular parts (probably iparts) and then iassemblies to be able to control the suppression of the decals/swap out different pipes/decals, etc...

But I'm only basing that of your image looking like it "could" be 3 pipes (well a single ipart that could have multiple versions based on the decal) and then swapping them out as needed in the iassembly..

But you cannot pattern a decal in a regular ipt or an ipart.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 6
DynamicObjects
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks mcgyvr - that sounds like the solution. If I was the thread owner i'd mark that as the solution. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report