Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patch and Extrusion Anomolies

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Carl_mgfx
367 Views, 5 Replies

Patch and Extrusion Anomolies

Good Day Forum

I have an interesting model here in 2 stages with various issues at each stage. 

Dome.ipt issues

Cannot create a patch to close the part by selecting the 2 circular edges on the botton of the part.  (The work around was to use sketch 4 to create the patch) 

If the outter edge is selected then a flat patch is not created even with the free edge condition selected (it always creates a dome).  The work around here I guess would also be to use sketch 4.

Dome1.ipt

Extrusion 5 is extremely slow to edit

Extrusion 5 will not extrude to next and terminate at the inner face. 

My question is this..... Is it the modelling technique that is causing this or are there deeper issues?

It would be good if someone from Autodesk could share some light on this, especially the issues with Dome1.ipt

Here is a link to the Dropboxed file.

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Inventor 2019, Vault 2019,
HP ZBook 15u G4, Win 10 64Bit (ver 1709), i7-7500U, 16 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics 620 with AMD Firepro W4190M
Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Carl_mgfx

You are much more likely to get response if you attach files here rather than 3rd party site.

You are much more likely to get response if you use Windows compression rather than rar.

I saw that Sketch1 was not constrained, adding a dimension, the dimension didn't make logical sense to me.

I didn't make it past Sketch1.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

As I go through this in more detail I see that Sketch4 has sick (pink geometry) for a simple circle?

(I guess that could be from a cross-part association, but since it is simply a circle why not sketch circle and dimension?)

And I found an extra arc in Sketch1 and the circle for Sketch1 was placed at the origin, but not constrained to the origin?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 6
JDMather

Do you have a picture or url to a part similar to this?

I have a lot of questions about the manufacturing process and true design intent.

It would help if there was more information.  Does this part exist already in some form?

Message 5 of 6
Carl_mgfx

Good Day JD

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately I had issues with the files being too large to attach to the post hence the compression and 3rd party site 😕 but I see you managed to get it right. (Guess I was in too much of a rush yesterday)

This design came from a customer of ours and he was expressing his concerns over the modelling failures, I see now I was too busy concentrating on the apparent failures I forgot to check the basics.

As far as I know this is a new design he's working on, I will see if he can send through any reference material.

The "Dome" section of the part will be 3D printed and the extrusion 5 will be the support material.  The rectangular holes came from a reflector (Surface2) that was brought into the model and then manipulated into position (Circular pattern2 and Move Body1-4).

I will bring up your concerns with our customer over the modelling and especially the sketch issues.  If he can fix these then this model will probably not give as many problems. 

Thanks once again for you time and effort.

Kind Regards
Carl van Rooyen
Application Engineer

Inventor 2019, Vault 2019,
HP ZBook 15u G4, Win 10 64Bit (ver 1709), i7-7500U, 16 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics 620 with AMD Firepro W4190M
Message 6 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Carl_mgfx

When I look at the geometry I am very skeptical that it represents what is really intended for the design.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report