Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts list re-order

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
methoni
6243 Views, 10 Replies

Parts list re-order

Having just created an assembly drawing (.idw)  and noting that the items that make up the assy are brought into the parts list as they are brought into the

3d assy (.iam) in the same sequence,this is fine but in complex assy,s consisting of many parts the occasion arises when the draughtsman would like to add a new part to the assy but also slot this into a specific area of the parts list ie not always in build sequence but in a common grouping . In excel there is a facility to insert a row is there the same in the inventor build list.

There is facility to renumber and i am sure that inventor allows one to reposition the items and automaticaly re-number the baloons without having to rebuild the assy from scratch,its just working out how to do it.

Any suggestions please.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
-niels-
in reply to: methoni

Not that i would do this, but if you select the row you want to move at the first column in the part list editor (grey, no icon, left of balloon indicator) you can drag and drop it to where you want it.
(indicated by a red line)
Then you could just hit the "renumber items" button...

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 11
methoni
in reply to: -niels-

Niels
When you say parts list editor I assume that you mean by double clicking the parts list to open it up for editing , did you mean "grew" in your reply !
I have tried your suggestion but cant seem to get it to work.
When you say " not that I would do this" I suppose that you infer its best to get the build sequence correct in the first place.
Regards
Message 4 of 11
-niels-

Yes, that's the part list editor i meant. I also meant "grey", which i edited a bit later 😉

Hope this video will make clear what i meant:

Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.

As for "not that i would do this", i prefer to control my parts lists through the BOM editor and keeping the part list sorted in the same manner as the BOM.

I can imagine that you have other requirements, so that you can't always keep it sorted in the same manner, but edits to a part list on the idw don't automatically carry over to the BOM.

Hope that makes sense...

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 11
methoni

Thanks Niels

The Video will help a lot.

Message 6 of 11
jyager

I frequently have to do this. I'm always changing parts and adding parts to complex .iam's and find that just dragging the parts in the BOM to where I want them and then renumbering works just fine. In the end it doesn;t matter, but I hate having items not grouped with similar items. I'd be hesitant (as mentioned above) to do it only in the parts list itself. It'd come back to bite me at some point not having things match up.

Jason Yager
Inventor Professional 2023.2
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz
32GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 Series
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Pro
Message 7 of 11
methoni
in reply to: jyager

Hello jyager
Of course ,the problem being, that anyone who has never been a draughtsman thinks that drawings miracuously create themselves using cad, understanding little of the concept of assembly creation and the
initial mental effort it takes to create/design the parts in the first instance.
Regards
Message 8 of 11
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi methoni,

Just to add to the video provided by -niels-, if you sort and renumber the parts list, then the item number overrides are colored in blue text. You can then use the Save Item Overrides to BOM button to push the overides to the assembly BOM, so that the BOM and parts list are consitent.

Save Item overrides to BOM saves Item overrides back to the assembly Bill of Materials.
Note: You can save changes back to any item numbers in the assembly Bill of Materials that are locked: In the Parts List dialog box, when you override an existing value, and then save the change to a locked value in the Bill of Material, you are notified that you are attempting to override a locked cell. Confirm the action to save the value to the Bill of Materials.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-FDCCBB17-29D2-474B-B335-BD6C024C5649

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 9 of 11
GabiWearing

Hi,
I am looking for the answer to the same question as methoni.
You mentioned a video but I cant see a link to a video.
Are you able to point me to it please?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers Gabi
Message 10 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: GabiWearing

Hi! The process is pretty straight forward. When you reorder the items in a PartsList in the drawing (idw/dwg), you can save the overridden item numbers back to assembly BOM. Either right-click on the PartsList node in the browser or edit the PartsList -> Save Item Overrides.

If you could not figure out, please share an example here. Forum experts can help take a look and provide further guidance.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 11
craigj
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson Shiue,
yes, it worked this time.
I think my mistake was that I used the re-numbering icon and then the parts were in the same order as before.
Thank you and have a great day!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report