Inventor General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 1 of 14 (686 Views)

Part edges not showing in IDW

686 Views, 13 Replies
08-09-2012 09:51 AM

I have a part that refuses to display properly in orthographic drawing views.  The image below shows how it renders in a drawing.  The drawing view to the left is the problematic one, the iso view to the right is just to show what the part actually looks like.

Lines Missing - Updated.png

Funny thing, though, when the drawing view is updating (with the green brackets around it), the lines show just fine (see below).  But they disappear as soon as the drawing is fully updated.

Lines Visible - Updating.png

I have attached the offensive part and the drawing shown in the images.

I tried turning on tangent edges and interference edges, but no luck.

*Pro
jletcher
Message 2 of 14 (671 Views)

Re: Part edges not showing in IDW

08-09-2012 10:18 AM in reply to: cwhetten

Seems to be linked with the bend if you roll up the end of part above your bend it shows..

Works.JPG

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

James Letcher
2012 Factory Design Suite ( will not load 2013)
What happen to my Inventor :-(
*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 3 of 14 (658 Views)

08-09-2012 10:59 AM in reply to: jletcher

Thanks for taking a look at it.  I noticed that too.  I have a hunch that Inventor just can't compute the complex spline that results after the bend.  But it does just fine in the temporary image that is shown during view computation, and iso views seem to be ok, so...?

How can we have confidence in the software if stupid little things like this make it impossible to document our designs?

Edit:  It seems to work in every other orthographic view except the one I need! :smileymad:

Lines Missing 1.PNG

Valued Mentor
mpatchus
Message 4 of 14 (648 Views)

08-09-2012 11:33 AM in reply to: cwhetten

The edges show up fine in a partial detail view, as long as you don't include the entire edge.

edges.JPG

I even tried it modeling the part as a solid instead of surfaces and it has the same results.

Veeeerrrry strange!!!

Mike Patchus

Inventor 2012 SP3 ~ Vault Pro 2013
==================
Lenovo D20 Workstation Intel Xenon E5640@2.67GHz (2)
Win 7, 24gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. :smileyhappy:
*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 5 of 14 (625 Views)

08-09-2012 02:58 PM in reply to: mpatchus

Thanks for looking at it and finding yet another strange aspect to this issue.

Edit: I also noticed that if I take a section view from the top (so that the section view is the same orientation as the problematic view), it displays properly.  Unfortunately, this won't work for how I need to document this part.

Any Deskers out there want to take a look at this?  When designing new parts, do we need to be afraid that our geometry might not show up on the drawings?

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 6 of 14 (613 Views)

08-09-2012 04:22 PM in reply to: cwhetten

Any reason you why can't show it in full section with the base view on or off of the sheet?

Section.PNG

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 7 of 14 (586 Views)

08-10-2012 08:04 AM in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for looking at it, JD.  Your suggestion would work just fine for a detail drawing of the part itself, but we have from 8 to 14 of these in our model.  They show up in several subassembly drawings where it isn't very convenient or desireable to have a section view right through this part.

As a workaround, one of our designers has used a breakout view through only this part, and that seems to be acceptable.

It's very inconvenient to have to take these measures simply to get a part to display properly.

Employee
johnsonshiue
Message 8 of 14 (575 Views)

08-10-2012 02:09 PM in reply to: cwhetten

Hi! The behavior exhibited by the files is not correct. The sihouette should be shown in the views. I am forwarding it to development for further investigation.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Principal SQA Engineer, Inventor
Mechanical Design
Autodesk, Inc.

Contributor
jbush812
Message 9 of 14 (495 Views)

10-02-2012 07:40 AM in reply to: johnsonshiue

I had a similar problem where some lines would not show in a basic view. In scouring the boards, I found a strange solutiont that worked for me. Click into the properties of the view, and on the Display Options tab...toggle on "Tangent Edges". Not exactly sure why, but it worked for me and some other users.

Good luck!

Jason Bush
Building Design Suite 2013
mkfoot
Message 10 of 14 (406 Views)

04-04-2013 02:26 PM in reply to: jbush812

thank god i found your post. many thanks.

I DESPISE USING THIS BLOATED PIECE OF TRASH INVENTOR! i am nowhere near as productive as when I use SW. I thought that maybe when they came out w/Inventor, it would be a lot easier than Mechanical Desktop. A JOKE. NO SUCH LUCK INVENTOR IS 10X 100X WORSE.

I am forced to use it in my job. this is what happens when the people with the purchase order know absolutely nothing about a CAD system.

I'VE BEEN DRIVING AUTOCAD SINCE 1989. acad IS A good cad package, but this completey sucks.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube