Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Tags in Layouts

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jrhymes
502 Views, 7 Replies

Part Tags in Layouts

Coming from MDT (Yes I still use MDT daily) I'm having a hard time finding a Inventor equivalent for some things that made MDT really fast. I'll start with part tags in layouts. In MDT I was able to set up multiple different tag templates to tag a part in a layout. In inventor it seems you have to custom make it every time you do a leader off a part you have to select all the properties you want to add but don't see a way to save it once you have it set up. Am I missing something?

Jason

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: jrhymes

It sounds as if you are trying to create a drawing with balloons or leader text that give information about the part to which they are pointing?  I've never used MDT, so I'm not familiar with the terminology, but that's what I'm getting from your posting.

If so, I think Sketch Symbols might be what you're looking for.  You will probably get the best help from this forum by posting the data set (drawing, assembly & parts) here and tell/show us what you're trying to do.  I'll bet someone else has already worked it out.

Message 3 of 8
jrhymes
in reply to: SBix26

Yes, I think that is a good start to what I'm looking for. Will play with that and post back if I have issues. Attached is a screen shot of the MDT tag dialog for ref.

Message 4 of 8
jrhymes

I noticed there is no way to control where the connector is and it seems to always connect to the center of the text.

Message 5 of 8
jrhymes

Was able to move the connection point but now I can't find any of the parameters I need to get the symbol tag to show the correct data. I'm looking for Part Qty, Length or G_L in ft and inches and Part Number.

Jason

Message 6 of 8
jrhymes

Ok, after playing for hrs and trying to make this work for me, it looks like Sketch Symbols was an attempt  in the right direction but falls short in usability and features.

1. There is no way to add part number or qty to the tag
  2. There is no way to control justification. You would have to create a symbol for left and right justification
  3. No easy way to change the tag. Only option would be to delete the old one and add the new one.

Any other options out there that I may be missing?

Thanks

Jason

Message 7 of 8
SBix26

Can you post a data set (parts, assembly, drawing)?  Using text label, you would be able to include iProperties and parameters in the label, but that's a manual job each time you place one.

Message 8 of 8
jrhymes
in reply to: SBix26

Adding all the parameters every time seems like a very time consuming thing. If copying and pasting the formula would work, I could use that but the formula is lost when you paste. I can't believe this has never been added to Inventor, especially with so many people coming from MDT that use to use these. This is one of many big time savers that made MDT so fast and is why I'm still using it. I don't have any data sets I can send you. This just an observation from trying to setup a template in Inventor with what I will need to create a drawing.

Jason

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report