Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric sketch blocks

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
bcrowell
735 Views, 5 Replies

Parametric sketch blocks

Is it possible to make a sketch block parametric across multiple parts so that if I edit the sketch block in one part it will update in all of them?  If not, is there a better way to do this?  I have several parts that use similar geometry and want to control the identical geometry with a single sketch (or sketch block) if possible.

For example, all the parts are a rectangular shape with an arched top, and a specific cutout in the center.  Some of the parts have additional holes, bosses, etc, but they all need to align across the arched top and all the specific cutouts need to line up through the assembly as they will be stacked.  If a single sketch block isn't the solution what is the best parametric design practice in this situation?

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: bcrowell

Sounds like a use for Derive Component (can be only sketch if desired, or the feature that is common accross all instances but subject to change across instances).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
bcrowell
in reply to: JDMather

I hadn't thought of it until after I posted, and mostly because (pre-Vault)
we have had bad experiences with the base component being deleted or
separated from its derived brethren. However, after running a test in
Vault and confirming that the derived base and the derived parts are indeed
linked and you cannot delete the base while there is a part derived from
it, I agree, derived parts are once again an instant go-to favorite of mine.
INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
Message 4 of 6
anthonyhendrick
in reply to: bcrowell

I found this old post as I was having the same problem.

I have a part created from a sketch which is linked to an excel table.

I have created a block out of the sketch in the hopes of retaining the parametric link with the excel table.

I then created a new part and attempted create a dervied part from the first part in order to bring in the block.

However when I try and select the elements of the derived part I want to derive, I can't select anything.

Ultimately I would like to have multiple instances of the same sketch driving several different parts and I would like these sketches to be controlled parametrically from the excel table. I am also trying to set myself up such that I don't continuously have to link the dimensions of each sketch with the excel table manually.

Hope this makes sense!

Message 5 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: anthonyhendrick

@anthonyhendrick wrote:

....I have created a block out of the sketch in the hopes of retaining the parametric link with the excel table...

This step wasn't needed.

In any case, attach your files here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 6
anthonyhendrick
in reply to: JDMather

Ok, there have been a couple of developments.

1. The reason I could not derive anything from the first part is because it was the wrong file and it was empty for some inexplicable reason (so I deleted it).

2. I took your comment on board and created a sketch without converting it to a block and linked its' dimensions parametrically with the excel file.  (this time using the correct file). However I found that it was hard to assign that derived sketch to a plane and therefore think it may be best to use a block as it seems easier to place.

Everything seems to be working just fine now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report