Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parallel constraint??

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
4100 Views, 13 Replies

Parallel constraint??

I have a motor shaft that is constrained to the motor bracket and I want the
bottom of the motor bracket to parallel to the base plate but I don't yet
know the distance between them or I would make a block to fit between them.
There will be a cross roller linear bearing in this space with a spacer but
for now I just want these two parallel and I can't figure out how to go
about it? I tried to make the xy planes of both parallel but can't seem to
do that either?

Thanks for any help, Rich
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Mate with offset distance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
Josh_Petitt

"I don't yet know the distance between them"

wouldn't an Angle constraint of 0 degrees work better?
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

Yep

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified
Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified
Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
AIP 2008 SP3,
AIP 2009-SP1 PcCillin AV
HP zv5000  AMD64 2GB - Geforce Go 440, Driver:
XP Pro SP3, Windows XP Silver Theme

href="http://teknigroup.com">http://teknigroup.com
Message 5 of 14
JDMather

>I don't yet know the distance between them

Put in a fudge distance for visual reference. Then when you know the distance simply edit.

Or use the Angle constraint if you still want to be able to drag around.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 14
skaul111

If you plan to have a spacer why not just make one and edit the spacer at a later date, You should be able to suppress the spacer so it does not show up in assembly.
Message 7 of 14
bcitrowske

Parallel constraint would be such a nice addition. Because of metric models brought in to english assemblies sometimes the desired offset numbers can be out 8 places or more. I have found the constraints in IV to be extremly tiresome to use.

Message 8 of 14
cwhetten
in reply to: bcitrowske

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There is a parallel constraint.

It's called the angle constraint.  Just input 0 degrees and it will make your entities parallel.

For future reference, if you have an idea to improve Inventor, you can submit your idea at the IdeaStation, where other users can vote for your idea by giving it kudos:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 9 of 14
bcitrowske

Sorry I should rephrased it as "if the angle constraint is going to be the Parallel constraint for Inventor it would be nice it if worked more than 20% of the time". When the Angle constraints works it's only when I make all the models because I close all of my Sketch's when building a model. But I don't have the time nor the luxury of building all my own models when building assemblies. So when stuff isn't built with fully constrained sketch's IV gets buggy while assembling them and Angular doesn't work. The biggest fix IV could do in its next release is force closed sketch's because I have found nothing but problems with people leaving open sketch's.

Bryan Citrowske
Mechanical Designer
-
Bryan.Citrowske@ASEHoldings.com
V 651 220 1305
F 651 227 0519
358 E. Fillmore Ave. * St. Paul, MN 55107
-
www.aseholdings.com

[Description: Description: http://www.aseholdings.com/resources/images/ASE_Logo_businesses.gif]

This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and should not be read or distributed by anyone other than an intended recipient. If you received this by mistake, please notify us by replying to the message, and then delete it.
Message 10 of 14
88nwilson

Adaptivity can be useful, once in a while. In those rare situations a partially constrained sketch has been a blessing, if used properly.

The angle constraint works well, in any situation a parallel constraint would work. I prefer the directed angle so I don't need to worry about a cross-product vector, but it won't flip on me as easily.

I agree that the angle constraint can flip too often, but when the options are 0 and 180, this is hardly a big issue.

Another option, you can "Mate" within bounds, as a flexible constraint. Set an upper bound of 25.5mm, lower bound of 25.3mm, and that one inch distance should be fine. Or, type an equation in for your distance.

Inventor 2013
Win 7 Pro SP1 (x64)
Message 11 of 14
bcitrowske

I don't see how Leaving a Sketch open can be a blessing??? If you need to change something no problem open sketch remove bounding constraint make change that closes sketch again and you're done.

>From what I seen repeatedly in IV is if you leave a line unconstrained even if you snapped it vertical or horizontal when creating it IV has issues with that feature. When I constrain my sketches fully all the time I can mate 3 surfaces every time in IV. But when I add one model from and outside person with one open sketch things fail.

I have been using pretty much every different software for the last 15 years and I find IV to be the most tiresome software to use. I honestly liked IV a lot better before Autodesk bought them out. They seem to have turn it back to mechanical desktop.

Bryan Citrowske
Mechanical Designer
-
V 651 220 1305
F 651 227 0519
-
www.aseholdings.com

[Description: Description: http://www.aseholdings.com/resources/images/ASE_Logo_businesses.gif]

This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and should not be read or distributed by anyone other than an intended recipient. If you received this by mistake, please notify us by replying to the message, and then delete it.
Message 12 of 14
JDMather

@bcitrowske wrote:
.... I honestly liked IV a lot better before Autodesk bought them out.

Can you post a url reference to this information?

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
bcitrowske

Sorry I was mistaken and believed the rumor that IV was built by people that left Autodesk and was later bought back by Autodesk. At that time I was contracting and using IV, SW, PRO, and MDT. At that time IV and SW were like twins. Now I have been off IV for quite a while and only back on it for a couple of months. I'm not asking Autodesk to be SW or Pro but it really needs to work on its user friendliness and to take customer suggestions seriously.

I always love the "response well it never happens to me"

And maybe you never have a problem with angular constraints not working, but I'm not the only one at this location having the issue.

Bryan Citrowske
Mechanical Designer
-
V 651 220 1305
F 651 227 0519
-
www.aseholdings.com

Message 14 of 14
JDMather

@bcitrowske wrote:
... really needs to work on its user friendliness and to take customer suggestions seriously.
.... but I'm not the only one at this location having the issue.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/idb-p/v1232

Post example datasets that exhibit the behavior you are experiencing.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report