Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pack and Go

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
SteveFrey
2101 Views, 20 Replies

Pack and Go

When I copy an assembly using Pack and Go the newly copied assembly wants to change the original files when I modify them.  Is this supposed to happen?

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
HP ZBook 17 G6
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 80 GB
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
3D Connexion SpaceMouse Wireless
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: SteveFrey

Pack and go is simply for transfering files to another computer, or sending said files. if you have vault use design copy (right-click the desired master assembly within vault), being sure to set all parts as copy, not reuse, except library parts. Also rename them as desired. If you don't have vault try design assistant (in autocad folder) and I hear the icopy will work too, although have not used that personally.

Pack and go simply copies the files, keeping the original folder paths so any change to one part will update the originals as you have discovered.

Message 3 of 21
cbenner

Can you describe the options you used in the Pack n Go?  Or show a screenshot of the dialog?  Sounds like you have something linked to the original assy.  I haven't used this for copying, I'll have to give it a try and see if I can duplicate your problem.

Message 4 of 21
SteveFrey
in reply to: cbenner

See attached. 

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 5 of 21
blair

Are you sure, you don't mean, change from multi directories to a single directory? You have set one of the options to combine to a single directory.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 21
mrattray

This is normal behavior. In addition to the other methods mentioned, you can also use different projects to force the assemblies to find and use the correct files. This is the method I sometimes use with very large assemblies.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 21
karthur1

I use PnG all the time and it never does what you are saying in the OP.

Are you using the .ipj from the ...\Test folder in Inventor?  That would be the only way I could see this happening.

Message 8 of 21
mrattray
in reply to: karthur1

I see this happen when I PnG an assembly from one location to another within the same project folder. If I open the assembly, and then do an in place edit or open the part using the assembly command, then I get the original part instead of the copy.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 9 of 21
karthur1
in reply to: mrattray

@mrattray wrote:
I see this happen when I PnG an assembly from one location to another within the same project folder.

"Within the same project folder".... are you storing your PnG files under the path of project file?  If you are, then I could see how you are getting the original parts and not the copied ones.

When I do a PnG, I put the copied files outside of the project path. That way Inventor is not tempted to open the copied parts instead of the orginal. In order to work with the copied parts, I have to change to the .ipj that is in the folder that goes with the PnG parts.

Message 10 of 21
mrattray

When I use PnG I put the files into a different project directory to avoid this problem, same as you. I'm suggesting that this may be the OP's issue.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 21
SteveFrey

Yes, all within the same project folder.  I only use one project.  Backing up a little, I used to use the CopyDesign tool from the SDK without any problems.  It was simple and worked flawlessly.  Along came 2013 and it went down the tubes big time.  Autodesk couldn't figure out why it wasn't working any more.  I'm having problems with it again so I was seeking another way of copying and re-using my existing assemblies. 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Best-Way-to-Copy-Frame-Generator-Assembly/td-p/31479...

Steve Frey
Inventor 2021
HP ZBook 17 G6
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous

Hi Steve.

i seem to be having the same problem with Pack and Go referencing the original file, regardless of where i copy the PnG. Did u end up finding a solution if i may ask.

I am on 2014 IV LT W8

Thanks in advance MatB

Message 13 of 21
karthur1
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Steve.

i seem to be having the same problem with Pack and Go referencing the original file, regardless of where i copy the PnG. Did u end up finding a solution if i may ask.

I am on 2014 IV LT W8

Thanks in advance MatB

"Regardless of where I copy the PnG"....... I don't see how that can be. If you copy the files to a folder that is outside the project path, Inventor will not use them instead of your original files. Can you show some screen shots of what you have?

Kirk

Message 14 of 21
brian.cranston

Browse to the PnG target directory and load the Project file generated by the PnG process. If you don't change projects you're bound to pick up the original files when you load the PnG files.  I just did a quick test that exhibited this behavior.  The assembly was in the PnG directory but the parts came from the original project.

-Brian

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous

Hi karthur1

My 'Manage Option' is greyed out in the Inventor Start Menu. (Within
Autodesk Inventor LT, select - Manage - Projects )

The closest I come to changing the project path is thru 'Application Options
- File - Work Path'. . where I can change the
'%PUBLICDOCUMENTS%\Autodesk\Inventor LT 2014\Workspace\'.

Sounds like there is no substitute for Vault I guess. I was hoping for a
workaround to get me thru till I was certain my Skate Ramp designs were
viable.

I have contacted my Local Retailer to see what is available for LT.

Thanks for the response karthur1

Kind Regards : MatB
Message 16 of 21
blair

Inventor will always honor the "Project File", so even if you navigate with Windows Explorer to a directory that you have copied your Pack-and-Go files to. When you open the IAM file it will still open the related files back in the directory that the is controlled by your active Project File. You would need to create a new Project file to point to your P&G directory.

You could try using the "Default" project file that doesn't point to any directory. You would still need to open Inventor and select this Project as the active project.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Thanks Blair

. . but I think the problem is that I have IV LT, bc I have no access to the
Manage Option and have found no way to alter the 'Projects'. . I had IV 2008
with Vault, but see nothing like the same dialogue boxes I use to create and
alter projects in.

The closest I come to changing the project path is thru 'Application Options
- File - Work Path'. . where I can change the
'%PUBLICDOCUMENTS%\Autodesk\Inventor LT 2014\Workspace\'.

Should I change this path to work on the P&G files

Message 18 of 21
karthur1

I am not fimiliar with IV LT.  I was not aware that it did not use a project file like Inventor.

Try changing the path in the app options and see if that works.

Message 19 of 21
blair

It looks like I missed the LT part of the post. I assume that It still must have some for of Project to allow you to direct InventorLT to which directory you want to use for your parts and drawings.

If you don't have the double folder for Projects, then I would edit the Work Path.

Capture1.JPG

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 20 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Thanks for all the correspondence

. . there is no substitute for the real thing. . Design Suit here I come

Kind Regards : MatB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report